Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 9, 2013   #1
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Default Anybody know where to get....

Those little plastic plant labels that are in the pots when you get them at the nursery? The preprinted ones with the picture and variety on them? Instructions and all that?

I have all these plants that will be ready to sell, and then I noticed,,, woops!
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
Those little plastic plant labels that are in the pots when you get them at the nursery? The preprinted ones with the picture and variety on them? Instructions and all that?

I have all these plants that will be ready to sell, and then I noticed,,, woops!
I don't know where to get those. BUT I know a great alternative you can easily make yourself.

Blinds!

Simply take some scissors and cut up some old plastic blinds into the shape and size for stake labels. Mark them with a Sharpie permanent magic marker with whatever info you need. Or if your handwriting is poor, you can buy blank self adhesive labels at Office Depot that fit in your computer printer and print up labels to stick to the stakes you made from the blinds.

With a little care and practice you can actually make something pretty professional looking for nearly no cost.

Assuming you have an old set of blinds hanging around.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Assuming you have an old set of blinds hanging around.
and assuming your printer ink is not water soluble -- be sure to test a few samples before doing a print run.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

several of the catalogs offer plant tags (pre printed) in the backs of the catalogs. HPS and Harris are 2 that come to mind quickly.

BUT they aren't all that cheap AND except for rather common varieties, you probably won't find them for varieties we people in the know grow. TVers.

Here is 1 of the companies that actually makes the tags. http://www.mastertag.com/
But their selection and minimums will most likely make you want to think of something else. At least they do for me.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #5
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

I use the same idea as Redbaron....even if you have to buy a mini-blind from a dollar store. One will make a lot of plant tags.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2013   #6
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

I go through several thousand labels a year and cannot afford the time for homemade anymore. And pre-printed labels would be cost-prohibitive.

In 2011 I spent a bit of time researching to find the cheapest tags which would suit my needs. I settled on Greenhouse Megastore, under the section of Plant Labels. I use primarily 4-1/2" X 1" because they fit in the pots I use.

They are not pre-printed, but I have so many varieties that it's more efficient for me to print on Avery (or similar) labels (#8160 fits the tags I use) and print the information myself. These are not water resistant, so I need to bottom water - and rain becomes a problem. Now I usually just write by hand with a "Garden Marker" or Sharpie (but NOT the ultrafine, as they fade quickly in the sun).

Many days I get writer's cramp. Maybe by next year I can afford my own thermal printing (or whatever it's called) system? I haven't researched this much - maybe someone has a suggestion for a do-it-yourself setup for creating customized professional looking plastic plant labels?
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

In the graphic arts, you can get spray-on fixatives that will set pigments. I wonder if there are any cost-effective and food-safe fixatives you can use on the labels.

Or maybe you can hire a kid to write the labels.
Old January 10, 2013   #8
LBchilehead
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
In the graphic arts, you can get spray-on fixatives that will set pigments. I wonder if there are any cost-effective and food-safe fixatives you can use on the labels.

Or maybe you can hire a kid to write the labels.
HG, what part of Cali r u from?
LBchilehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013   #9
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

sf bay area.

I found this "nontoxic" fixative that sounds like it doesn't have the horrible odor of most products in this category.
http://www.dickblick.com/products/sp...pray-fixative/
If I wanted to try it out, I'd print something on the paper I was going to use for the labels, wait half an hour to make sure the ink was dry, and then get some rubbing alcohol and swab the label with it. Or soak it overnight. If the alcohol does not make the ink run, there's a chance this fixative might work. Then I'd try printing a fresh label and swab it with alcohol immediately to see if I'd have to wait before using the fixative. (Some inks are soluble in alcohol.)

Anyway, that's one idea.
Old January 10, 2013   #10
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

I use these from a seller on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

$12.75 / 500 pcs
Old January 10, 2013   #11
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

JHC.COM amd MACORE.COM . Mostly they have tags for hybrid varieties that most growers sell. Macore is very slow filling orders. If you need them now, Mastertag or JHC
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013   #12
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have done the print on labels and put it on a blank tag or directly on the pot. If you just write on the tag, pencil is best It doesn't fade or wipe off unless you wipe it when it's wet.

Inkjets are not waterproof. But there are several B&W Laser printers that are cheap enough that are waterproof.

I currently have a Brother 5340D. It's fast and the toner lasts fairly long. Also there are "compatible" toners available that work fine for a decent price.

Color lasers are more of a problem. Mainly due to the toner costs. There are several printers on the market in the 150 - 200 range but when you need new toner it will cost you about 300 for the refill. I do have an HP color laser printer that I use sparingly for my signage. But it's getting to where I will need toner soon and so far I haven't found any I feel comfortable ordering.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I found a different make your own that you can do with an old fashioned paper cutter.
At wall mart thay had packages of notebook dividers that are a translucent white color and writeable. I think it cost about $2.99 for the 8 sheet package, Avery brand, in the school supply section. One sheet makes about 50 label tags that are definitely just the right thickness and rigidity. Print labels to fit easily, I just write with a sharpy marker since it is for my own use.
The labels come to much less than 1 penny each.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013   #14
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

And Planetlabel.com has the waterproof labels, http://www.planetlabel.com/labels/by...te_vinyl/white
if you choose to make your own
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2013   #15
Germinator
Tomatovillian™

I make up ~800 plastic labels every year for my tomatoes. I have found a "Paint' Sharpie pen that works great and does not fade in the summer sun and is waterproof. I use the Extra Fine Point, oil-based. I believe I bought them from Uchida of America, Corp. Since I enjoy writing the names on the plastic labels, it is no problem for me to do them by hand--just have to stretch it out--and it is a good winter project for me. The labels I believe I buy at Greenhouse Megastore as they are the cheapest. Got a delivery of 5,000 once when I ordered 500 and they said "just keep them" rather than send them back.
Germinator is offline   Reply With Quote