Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2017   #1
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default The sweet 100s etc

I have grown Sweet 100 and loved the taste. To my mind there is no better tasting cherry. They are incredibly prolific, too. BUT they crack like crazy a little after their first few weeks of maturity. So I am wondering what Supersweet 100, Sweet 1 million, and Peacevine are like. So they have same taste as Sweet 100? Do they crack? Are they prolific?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2017   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Sweet Million F1 didn't crack for me, not that I remember it being a problem even when the weather was rainy.
Supersweet F1 is on trial this year..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #3
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

I know sweet 100 is an indeterminate type tomato. Do you grow it as a vine and trim succulents or do you let it goe as a bush.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
I have grown Sweet 100 and loved the taste. To my mind there is no better tasting cherry. They are incredibly prolific, too. BUT they crack like crazy a little after their first few weeks of maturity. So I am wondering what Supersweet 100, Sweet 1 million, and Peacevine are like. So they have same taste as Sweet 100? Do they crack? Are they prolific?
I apologize that I missed this thread last year. To the best of my knowledge, Sweet 100 was the first. Super Sweet 100 was supposed to be an improvement, and is just as good with a little less splitting. Sweet Million is another supposed improvement over the Sweet 100 - again about the splitting part. I have grown all 3, and my advice is grow whichever one you have seeds for.

Peacevine is an OP that I have read is a sweet 100 that was grown out to no longer be a hybrid. If you ask me - all 4 varieties taste the same. A very good tasting cherry tomato.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have sweet100 or ss100 few years ago. As mentioned they crack. Also the fruits were small and inconsiatent in size.
This year i am growing Esterina F3 and a determinant grape (also F3, from storebought). Both varieties are crack resistant.
Almost forgot my own tiger grape, Indigo Rose and Indigo Apple. I put them in large grape/ cherry category or close to cocktail size.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #6
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Height of Sweet 100

I've grown Sweet 100 as a bush. It came to about 4 1/2 feet tall and was very bushy. it made the sweetest best tasting cherry tomatoes I have ever grown. So far nothing is its equal. It does crack a lot toward the end of the season, but I just cook those down. They make a wonderful sauce, but are greatest as eating out of the hand.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #7
Togo77
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your advice marlynn. I wasn’t quite sure how to grow it.
Togo77 is offline   Reply With Quote