Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 14, 2010   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Any other Vermicomposters here? We just started!

Thanks to one of our wonderful tomato seedling customers, Cheryl, we have a complete set up...she gave us the bins and some worms, and they are now living in our downstairs powder room on the floor (or on the dryer!). It is remarkable to actually hear them eating! The worms are growing rapidly (as is the amount of castings).
Old June 14, 2010   #2
relichound
Tomatovillian™

Craig,
Vermicomposting is something I've been meaning to get started with. I have started brewing compost tea and the worm castings would be great. Let us know how it's going. How about a video when you get time.

Jerry
relichound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2010   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I would also love to hear how it's going-the idea is appealing to me but not so much to DH. I was thinking our unfinished basement would be a great spot, but he's worried about the odor.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2010   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Kath, there is NO ODOR at all! We are very surprised....when you open up the container, all you smell is dirt - so good garden soil is probably loaded with worm castings. And what is even more amazing - putting in kitchen scraps (coffee grounds, old fruit like shriveled berries, watermelon rinds, corn husks) - you would think that would smell. But the worms get to work on it and again, no odor!
Old June 14, 2010   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Wow-that is very good news! I was encouraged when you said that you set up your operation in the main part of your house. Can't wait to share this! We make huge amounts of kitchen wastes from fruits and greens all year round and it seems a simpler way to compost them. Keep us posted. There must be other vermicomposters here.
Old June 14, 2010   #6
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
We make huge amounts of kitchen wastes from fruits and greens all year round and it seems a simpler way to compost them. Keep us posted. There must be other vermicomposters here.
Here's one more.
Just a point, be careful when adding the 'huge amount', over feeding can have serious side effects. A heat up, just like your composter, this can kill the squirm, leading to the most awful smell imaginable.
Better to give them lots of newspaper and cardboard to get then started, then when the herd gets bigger you can increase the amount of feed.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #7
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I have had a worm farm for 1.5 years, I have not had any problems with mine. One of their favorite things to eat is cardboard, tear it in small pieces and wet it before burying it in you worm bin. Like beeman said, you do have to be careful not to put in more waste than the worms can take care of. I started with 500 worms (they were small) and it did not take as much to feed them as I thought it would. It has been interesting, they are trouble free, I have mine outside but there is no ordor. We had a colder than normal winter in East Texas, when the temps dropped in the teens we moved the bin in my husbands shop. There's a lot of infor on the net.
Enjoy,

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback-definitely going to look into it because of the wonderful things I've heard about worm castings. Cardboard and newspaper is easy to come by as well. Figuring out where to keep them due to change in temperatures outdoors here is the biggest obstacle for me.
Old June 15, 2010   #9
lj in ny
Tomatovillian™

I have one. I started it this spring with a pound of red wigglers. I keep mine outside next to the garage but plan on moving it to the basement for winter. No noticible smell. I did notice some little mites (?) yesterday, I guess a melon rind in the bin will attract them and I just wash them off and then put the rind back in for the worms to consume. I found this site to be particularly helpful:
http://www.redwormcomposting.com/
lj in ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have read that a vermicomposting side effect is lots and lots of fruit flies-true or not?
Old June 15, 2010   #11
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
I have read that a vermicomposting side effect is lots and lots of fruit flies-true or not?
Not true.
If you use dry shredded newspaper over the top, bury the food scraps beneath the dry stuff where the fruit flies cannot get at it. Try to avoid the 'tropical' fruits, as that is where fruit flies come from.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #12
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Why would anyone wanna pay $35+ when you can either get them from a compost pile or 'hunt' them for free?
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #13
bmerryman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Why would anyone wanna pay $35+ when you can either get them from a compost pile or 'hunt' them for free?
Because vermicomposters require a specific worm - the redworm.

I am having a pound delivered tomorrow for the unit I purchased a few weeks ago.
bmerryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #14
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerryman View Post
Because vermicomposters require a specific worm - the redworm.

I am having a pound delivered tomorrow for the unit I purchased a few weeks ago.
Ok. Don't know about other areas, but they are rather plentiful around here, especially if you have some decently friable material.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2010   #15
bmerryman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Ok. Don't know about other areas, but they are rather plentiful around here, especially if you have some decently friable material.
Sounds like a good business opportunity for you! For me personally, the $25 is worth it versus the enormous amount of time it would take me to gather 1000 wrigglers.
bmerryman is offline   Reply With Quote