Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2014   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Support system for tomatoes...the plan

Last year I got behind the power curve on supporting my maters. Live and learn....today I pounded in 8 - 8' t post stakes ( 2 rows of 4 ). I was hoping to find the heavy livestock panels (5x16) for support via the stakes. None available in my area! dang. I am not crazy about the "rusted out" look of the 6"x6" concrete wire mesh. It is perfectly sized though. I am afraid that just pulling 4 or 5 rows of wire horizontally might not be as good as a "grid" wire configuration. Saw the pvc cages...lots of expense and work. They do look nice. any advice....?

Last edited by Ed of Somis; March 5, 2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: poor wording
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

For horizontal wire or line Google Florida weave.

I don't see why you couldn't paint CRW to make it look better. Go to a real paint store and ask what they would use. I'd think about a 2 part epoxy paint rolled on with a deep knapp roller, or brushed on.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I use this stuff on rusted parts.

Worth

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...q21JMm5-aGpHtQ
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #4
jcrous
Tomatovillian™

Ed,
Your system will have to last you for years and I assume you want it to look pleasing to the eye as well.
I am also working on my tomato cages (must be able to fold them up) that I am making out CRW. I cut them and bend the loops and hooks and try to straighten them in whole.
When finished I am taking them for hot dip galvanising. They will then never rust in my life time and they will be pleasing for the eye. It is not so expensive.

Johan Crous
jcrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #5
flyingtommy
Tomatovillian™

If you want to avoid the rusted look of the wire mesh and wire cloth screens - use stainless steel instead of plain steel. "stainless" is just that and will not rust - for more information, take a look at the facts on wire cloth material from a manufacturer like these guys, who happen to be local to my area:

http://www.bwire.com

I am sure you can find some at Home Depot or your local area.
flyingtommy is offline   Reply With Quote