Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2014   #46
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I want to know about Maxifort too, Fusion!

and Carolyn -
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden
There is a question I've been wondering about regarding the F1 seed production: What happens to all the tomato fruits needed to create parental lines? Does anyone ever eat them, or are they all processed for seeds? It seems like a huge waste if they all go uneaten

Don't laugh at me, I am very economical and hate to see anything even slightly edible be thrown away

Could you clarify for me?

I don't know if you're referring to those hybrids that were some of the earliest ones offered to the public which have just two parents, such as Big Boy F1 or if you're referring to more modern F1's where yes, there are two OP lines with several different parental inputs in each line and the final OP in each line is then crossed with the final OP in the other line to create the F1 hybrid, which is much more complex.

Carolyn
I took Narnian to mean what happens to any/all of the tomato pulp left after seeds and liquid are removed to extract the F1 seeds. Like does it go to compost, or more thriftily thrown in a pot to cook up a thick sauce for the field workers spaghetti supper!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #47
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Me three!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #48
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I was referring to the tomato pulp as well as the tomato fruits in the parental lineage - the idea of spaghetti sauce for field workers does sound thrifty, but perhaps not so appealing
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014   #49
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I'm still waiting to hear the interesting tidbit about Maxifort!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014   #50
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Anyone who claims that cameras of the past were not as good as today has already totally blown their credibility. Some of the sharpest, best contrasted, clearly detailed with infinite depth of field were the 8X10s of the Civil War era. Even the old Speedgraphic of the WWII press photographers was outstanding. Even the film ad printing paper back then was astounding! .........and I could go on and on!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014   #51
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Interesting but a little unfair, though. The comment was made about the Polaroids of the 1960s, and is surely accurate that their quality was not up to par. I doubt that Wilbur's photographer was using Mathew Brady's daguerreotype camera.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014   #52
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I don't think today's digital cameras are still up to par with 35 mm film (with its dynamic range). It was fun shooting with 4x5 film cameras and medium format. Printing your own photo's in the darkroom (dodging and burning) with your hands was so much fun. I miss shooting with Chrome film

Last edited by Delerium; May 21, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014   #53
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I find it difficult to take pictures with a digital camera. I can't see the little display without taking off my glasses, then I can't see the subject. And if its sunny, I can't see the display anyway. Wish I could convert my old cannon F-1 to digital.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014   #54
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I sure wish i kept my old Nikon Film scanner. I'd be shooting more film. Not sure why but Nikon film scanners have sure skyrocketed in price since i bought mine (almost double what it went for retail). I just bought a Nikon FM2 at a garage sale for 10 bucks this past weekend.. I just couldn't let it pass. I am sure you could find a digital back for your canon f-1. I know they had digital backs for the Nikon F100 if i recall back in the 90's.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2014   #55
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I also notice the color saturation of the 8 X 10 baseball stars of the 1950's and 1960s are SO much more vibrant and better looking that anything I see today. They really pop!
Old May 22, 2014   #56
manyplews
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnate View Post
I picked up a better boy hybrid today. I'm hoping that it won't have any disease problems since I only have enough room for five tomato plants. Has anyone grown this who can comment on the taste. My four other plants are San Martzano, early girl, sungold, and black krim.
Better Boy has been our main crop tomato for 30 years or more.
There may be better ones out there.but this one satisfies us.We use it fresh,for juice,whole tomato,and vegetable soup canning.
Prior to that,we used Big Boy,which is a little larger.
We live in SW Pennsylvania.
I spray with Daconil & Sevin and have never lost many plants.
We have had 2 instances iof widespread severe tomato plant in this state
during the last 15 years and my tomatoes were okay both time.
We're getting pretty old and crippled up so we're only planting a dozen Better Boys this year,plus some Pixie's(Thanks to Carolyn) and a few Roma's.
10 years ago,this was a typical canning record for us:

36 pints beets,7 pints beet juice
30.5 quarts of tomato juice
51 quarts whole tomatoes
25.5 quarts vegetable soup
32 pints pickle chips
16 pints Extie's hot sauce - 16 hot peppers
28 quarts green beans
manyplews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2014   #57
snippits
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyplews View Post
Better Boy has been our main crop tomato for 30 years or more.
There may be better ones out there.but this one satisfies us.We use it fresh,for juice,whole tomato,and vegetable soup canning.
That's round about how long I have been growing Better Boys. Still looking for that better tomato that has that Better Boy twang. Have not found it yet, but I will have to say Rutgers is neck and neck as far as taste goes for me anyway.
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #58
manyplews
Tomatovillian™

When I was a kid (about 70 years ago),Rutgers was a popular main crop tomato and my parents chose it and Beefsteak (for slicing and fresh use) for many years.
Beefsteak had too many "scallops" for canning but was great for sandwiches.
manyplews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #59
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

many...I saw what you did. Thanks for getting the "conversation" back on track! I know many people on this site bad-mouth hybrids. I get that. However, I am anxious to harvest my Better Boys this year. It probably has been 25-30 years since I grew them.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #60
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I find it difficult to take pictures with a digital camera. I can't see the little display without taking off my glasses, then I can't see the subject. And if its sunny, I can't see the display anyway. Wish I could convert my old cannon F-1 to digital.
I'm confused.

Do you have an SLR digital camera with external lens and viewfinder (eyepiece)? If so, use the diopter dial to adjust it for your eyesight so you don't need your glasses to see clearly.

Do you have an inexpensive pocket camera with a large LCD screen on the back? If so, yes, it will be difficult to see in sunlight.

Digital cameras have completely caught up with and surpassed 35mm in every way from resolution to dynamic range to light sensitivity. You just have to do your homework and buy the model and brand that delivers the performance you are looking for. I have a Canon T3i (650D) which continually blows me way for color fidelity, low-light handling, and crispness in all situations. And I can store 2,000 photos on a $40 memory card.

-------------------------------------------

Back on the subject of hybrids, I tried Big Beef last year in a 35 gallon SWC alongside Cherokee Purple. I was impressed with the flavor of Big Beef and so am growing 2 plants of it again this year, alongside Better Boy. I want to see what all the fuss is about since 30-40% of the tomato plants sold around here are Better Boys.

I am also growing Jet Star, Sweet Quartz (cherry), and Sungold and can't imagine ever not growing all 3 of these hybrids.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote