Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2014   #1
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Growbags question

Anybody know of an appreciable difference between Smartpots and Jackpots. The Jackpots are said to last for years, and 15 gallon ones sell for around $3 in bulk.

http://hort-enterprises.com/?page_id=168

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I personally like air-pots. They are plastic sided like a traditional pot but have a ton of holes all over them. They unravel for easy transplant. I get 15 gallon pots at my hydroponic store for 12 bucks. You can also get them from www.airpotgarden.com
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,
That's a good find and a good price. I had never heard of them. Appears to be the original version of the Smartpot. Without reading the Smartpot patent, I can't say for certain what the difference is other than - handles, better marketing and distribution for Smartpots.

The Jackpot guys sell direct too in smaller quantities.
http://www.betterroots.com/
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2014   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That's a better link James, thanks for posting that one. There are several urban farms in downtown Ft. lauderdale, all are putting landscape fabric over the whole area, then several hundred of these Jackpots. I am curious if they are known by the 'villians.
I was asked by my garden club to investigate what it would take and cost to set up a community garden in my city of Plantation, getting the mayor and the city itself involved, and this system seems to be very effective, with much less water usage due to drip irrigation. Scotts and other Corporations give out grants, and we wouldn't charge for a plot of land, rather they can put in labor as "sweat equity" and take home a bag of food.
So, what do you all think of these Jackpots? I really would like to know if not good, it's the reputation of our garden club after all.

Marsha
Old May 23, 2014   #5
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,
Hopefully someone here has commentary for you.

Question for you on the Urban farms in Lauderdale or Plantation for that matter- any concern about the temps? Black fabric pots on top of black landscape fabric in S. Florida and all. Is shading being used?
I know of some temp issues on NYC rooftop gardens, really just curiosity on my part.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Marsha,
Hopefully someone here has commentary for you.

Question for you on the Urban farms in Lauderdale or Plantation for that matter- any concern about the temps? Black fabric pots on top of black landscape fabric in S. Florida and all. Is shading being used?
I know of some temp issues on NYC rooftop gardens, really just curiosity on my part.
James,
Yes, you are very perceptive. Temps are a HUGE issue here. Yes, the established farms all have shade cloth in place, the newest one is getting some. There is also shade at most of the larger community gardens around. The Jackpots are a light beige, so that helps. Good question.
Marsha
Old May 24, 2014   #7
beeman
Tomatovillian™

There seems to be two distinct different ideas in this thread.
On one hand we have fabric pots and the other are plastic Air Pots, two totally different items.
I have both. The plastic Air pots, I have fruit trees in them, useful to winter over in an unheated garage. The fabric pots I made myself from a woven landscape fabric, first time this year.
The Air pots will prevent root circling, most important with long term fruit trees. The fabric pots are intended for Toms, so I can grow them outside my greenhouse, no soil disease.
Root circling seems to be a bigger problem than first apparent, my plants are certainly better in the, new to me, air pruning pots I am using.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #8
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I personally like air-pots. They are plastic sided like a traditional pot but have a ton of holes all over them. They unravel for easy transplant. I get 15 gallon pots at my hydroponic store for 12 bucks. You can also get them from www.airpotgarden.com
Can't believe the price you pay down there.
I have just bought three 8 gallon Air pots cost me $30 each. Boy we're really getting ripped off up here, and gas at 30% more!!
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Can't believe the price you pay down there.
I have just bought three 8 gallon Air pots cost me $30 each. Boy we're really getting ripped off up here, and gas at 30% more!!
The Jackpots are between $3-6 for the 15 gallon depending on quantity and whether you are a professional business or not. You can order online, see the link above. I imagine that even with shipping it will still be inexpensive compared to what you are now paying.