Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 15, 2006   #1
cthomato
Tomatovillian™

Default SoCal Tomato Events

It's that time again. The local nurseries that specialize in heirloom tomato plants will hawk their transplants next month. Here is a list of upcoming events/sales:

March 12th, 9am
Roger's Garden ( Corona del Mar) www.rogersgardens.com
Tomato Growing with Steve Goto. It will be nice to see what he's been up to since he moved out of his Sun Valley location. I expect his plants will be on sale at Rogers.

March 11th and 12th, 9am-5pm
Quail Botanical Gardens (Encinitas) www.qbgardens.com
Herb Festival and Tomatomania. We went last year and they had a tremendous selection of plants. The downside is $8 for admission. Last year plants cost $3 a piece. We bought Momotaro, Micro-Tom, Zapotec, Cherokee Purple, San Marzano, Matt's Wild Cherry, Rose and Orange Strawberry.

March 15th
Rusty Acres Herb Farm (Rainbow) www.rustyacres.com
Heirloom tomato plants go on sale. Rainbow is a bit out of the way for most. Their plants are often sold at the other San Diego events.

Also, the annual Spring Home and Garden Show will be at the Del Mar Fairgrounds from March 4th to 6th. Last year there were a couple of tomato plant vendors. $9 admission with online coupon (www.springhomegardenshow.com).

If anyone reading this knows of any other SoCal events or sales, please post them here.

Chris
cthomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Chris,

I always use to post the dates for the Tomatomania events in which Gary Jones who, when he owned Hortus in Pasadena initiated Tomatomania when he was there, and which are now held in several locations.

And I always posted the dates for the Fullerton events, one, actually two, at the Arboretum and one at Fullerton College.

So you might look into those as well.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #3
dave_sfv
Tomatovillian™

Default Found this in this mornings Daily News

"Growing Heirloom Tomatoes"will be discussed by Scott Daige, author of "Tomatomania! How to Grow Tomatoes Successfully in Southern California" from 9 to 10:30 am 3/18. Free but reservations are requested. CSUN Botanic Garden, 18111 Nordhoff St., Northridge. (818)677-3496

Also don't forget Tomatomania in Encino. Its usually the last couple weeks of March.

Dave
dave_sfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2006   #4
dave_sfv
Tomatovillian™

The above info was in this mornings Daily News,
Old March 15, 2006   #5
keithf
Tomatovillian™

I called yesterday 3/14/06 to reserve a space for the event at CSUN and not only are the 120 seats taken for the first lecture they added a second and that's gone as well. Oh well! I'm glad that so many San Fernando Valley Residents are that interested in Heirlooms. Dave SFV do you plan on attending the Encino Tomato Mania Event the weekend of 3/23 - 3/26? Let me know, I'd like to meet up and chat.
keithf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2006   #6
dave_sfv
Tomatovillian™

Keithf

I’m planning on going to tomatomania some time tomorrow (Friday), sorry for the late notice. If you see this in time and your able to make it leave a note I’ll check back later tonight and in the AM. If you can’t make in Friday I may be able to meet sometime Sat. but parking gets tight on the weekend and one year they ran out of a variety I was looking for. I didn’t get to go to the CSUN thing either they never answer the phones and by the time I left a message and they got back to me it was booked up.
Old March 24, 2006   #7
keithf
Tomatovillian™

Dave sfv,

I didn't check my e-mail before I left this morning. I was at the event this afternoon and got pretty much what I needed. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up. I will probably take a second look on Sunday though as they were out of Matt's Wild Cherry and a couple of others. I live in Reseda and my e-mail is
keithcrc@sbcglobal.net. Keithf
keithf is offline   Reply With Quote