Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 22, 2009   #1
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default Dried Beans, Lentils, Chickpeas

I've been trying to find different baked bean recipes to try, but most seem to start with premade canned baked beans. I am looking for "from scratch" recipes that call for soaking and baking for hours in a "slow" (low temps) oven.

If any of you have a favorite baked bean recipe, I'd be forever grateful if you'd share it with the rest of us.

Thanks!

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2009   #2
hill60
Tomatovillian™

Mischka

This is the way I make baked beans it's a very simple recipe.

1 lbs. navy beans or dry beans of your choice
1 48 oz can of tomato juice
1/2 cooking molasses
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 lbs of ham (preferably nicely smoked)
1/4 un-sweetened apple juice.

Soak the beans overnight in cold water. After soaking the beans discard that water. Combine all the ingredients into baking pan cover and slow cook three to four hours or until beans are tender. If you need to add more liquid during baking add more tomato juice.

These measurement are approximate because I've never used a recipe to make them. It's one of those things I picked up from watching my mother when I was a kid. She never used a recipe to cook anything.

Hill60
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2009   #3
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Yes my friend, I came from a restaurant family. They made me to start cooking at age 8.
1/3 Slab of bacon and get it half cooked in a large pot. Then add about a cup of water and then add ½ of a medium onion.. Then bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. And add salt and pepper. I add maybe two garlic cloves smashed up and some chili powder and add about 4 slices of jalapeño. Mean while the beans have soaked for 4 to 12 hrs. The smell is going to kick in. Ok now after you added all the ingredients add hot water to about a inch below the rim of the pot and bring to a boil. Then bring to a simmer for close to 2 hrs.. Trick is you got to stir and maybe add more water. If you do add hot water Check every 5 minutes and stir. Taste it every 15 min for your taste and add accordingly
Hope this helps
Robin
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Robin, from the looks of your recipe and you being from Texas I'll bet the beans you use are Pinto's. Had a coworker when I was In the Air Force who was from Lockhart, Texas and his wife would make up a pot of beans and bring to the shop parties. They didn't last long. She always insisted on using Gebhardt's chili powder. Ami

PS. Don't forget the cornbread.
Old March 22, 2009   #5
ricklynchcore
Tomatovillian™

Default My baked beans

1 pound navy beans, pea beans, or yellow eye; cleaned and soaked
1/2 cup onion; chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup light brown sugar; packed
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 pounds Salt pork; diced

Rinse beans and pick over. Place in a large bowl;add water to more than cover. Let beans soak overnight. Drain beans. Combine beans and onion in a large saucepan; add water to cover and heat to boiling. Cover, lower heat to a simmer 45 minutes, or until skins begin to burst when you scoop a few out in a spoon and blow on them. Drain liquid and reserve.

Measure 1 cup of the bean liquid into a bowl; add molasses, mustard, brown sugar, and salt, stir well. In a 2 quart bean pot, layer half of the salt pork and all of the beans. Pour molasses mixture over the beans; add just enough bean liquid to cover. Top with remaining salt pork pressing pieces down into the liquid. Keep extra reserved liquid refrigerated for use during baking..

Bake covered at 300 for 4 hours, checking hourly, if beans seem to dry add more liquid. uncover and bake for about 1 hour longer or until beans are tender.
ricklynchcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2009   #6
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Robin, from the looks of your recipe and you being from Texas I'll bet the beans you use are Pinto's. Had a coworker when I was In the Air Force who was from Lockhart, Texas and his wife would make up a pot of beans and bring to the shop parties. They didn't last long. She always insisted on using Gebhardt's chili powder. Ami

PS. Don't forget the cornbread.
Well Actually I was talking about Red Kidney beans my friend. I guess I left that part out. Silly beers. LOL. Funny I live 20 miles from Lockhart. Thanks for the helo pics.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #7
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Oh these are yummy!
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #8
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklynchcore View Post
1 pound navy beans, pea beans, or yellow eye; cleaned and soaked
1/2 cup onion; chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup light brown sugar; packed
1 teaspoon Salt
1/4 pounds Salt pork; diced

Rinse beans and pick over. Place in a large bowl;add water to more than cover. Let beans soak overnight. Drain beans. Combine beans and onion in a large saucepan; add water to cover and heat to boiling. Cover, lower heat to a simmer 45 minutes, or until skins begin to burst when you scoop a few out in a spoon and blow on them. Drain liquid and reserve.

Measure 1 cup of the bean liquid into a bowl; add molasses, mustard, brown sugar, and salt, stir well. In a 2 quart bean pot, layer half of the salt pork and all of the beans. Pour molasses mixture over the beans; add just enough bean liquid to cover. Top with remaining salt pork pressing pieces down into the liquid. Keep extra reserved liquid refrigerated for use during baking..

Bake covered at 300 for 4 hours, checking hourly, if beans seem to dry add more liquid. uncover and bake for about 1 hour longer or until beans are tender.
This recipe rocks!

I've tried many, many variations using the same ingredients but your proportions are right on the money.

Perfect!

Thanks for sharing it.

can keep my spirit

Old March 30, 2009   #9
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
Mischka

This is the way I make baked beans it's a very simple recipe.

1 lbs. navy beans or dry beans of your choice
1 48 oz can of tomato juice
1/2 cooking molasses
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 lbs of ham (preferably nicely smoked)
1/4 un-sweetened apple juice.

Soak the beans overnight in cold water. After soaking the beans discard that water. Combine all the ingredients into baking pan cover and slow cook three to four hours or until beans are tender. If you need to add more liquid during baking add more tomato juice.

These measurement are approximate because I've never used a recipe to make them. It's one of those things I picked up from watching my mother when I was a kid. She never used a recipe to cook anything.

Hill60
I'm trying this one tonight. Sounds like another winner. Look out Jay Bush!

can keep my spirit

Old March 31, 2009   #10
ricklynchcore
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
This recipe rocks!

I've tried many, many variations using the same ingredients but your proportions are right on the money.

Perfect!

Thanks for sharing it.
I'm glad you like them. Takes a bit to cook but well worth it. For me, a slab of smoked ribs, these baked beans and fresh cole slaw and its a good day!!

Rick
Old March 31, 2009   #11
celestina
Tomatovillian™

I've never made baked beans! I want to try the one Mischka says rock. Do I really need a bean pot? Can I use a covered baking dish of some sort? How does a bean pot differ from other baking dishes?
celestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2009   #12
ricklynchcore
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestina View Post
I've never made baked beans! I want to try the one Michka says rock. Do I really need a bean pot? Can I use a covered baking dish of some sort? How does a bean pot differ from other baking dishes?

Sure, any pot will do. A bean pot is heavy ceramic. I also like enameled cast iron pots, or just straight cast iron. A heavy, lidded pot avoids excess evaporation. You might have to peek more often with a lighter pot. The thing to avoid is the water level dropping below the beans. The beans will quickly dry out and become hard and unappealing. Other than that, its really full proof. Enjoy

Rick
Old April 9, 2009   #13
tessa
Tomatovillian™

i have just tried the recipe that mischka liked too.
it totally rocks! thankyou!

i will also be trying the tomato and apple juice recipe as well.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2009   #14
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Default Help with Southern bean recipe?

I'm looking for instructions on how to make shelly beans. For that matter, when do you pick the beans for shelly beans? I think they're beans picked post snap stage and pre dry stage, but when I went out and picked some pole beans that were beyond the snap stage and the pods were lumpy, the beans were wee teeny still.

My spouse has got it in his head that he'd like me to make shelly beans like one of the ladies at church used to. One of my friends makes what she calls shelly beans, she stirs the beans (frozen butter beans) around in bacon grease until they get bright, then adds a little water and steams them for a few minutes, but the spouse says he thinks they're boiled in water for a few hours with salt pork and sometimes they have the pods? That sounds more like dry beans or leather britches to me. Unfortunately the lady who used to make them has passed away and while many remember her beans, no one seems to know how to make them.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Anasazi Beans for the gods.

Soak one 1 pound package of beans overnight.
Slice up one package of smoked hog jowl into ¼ inch slices.(Like thick bacon.)
Better yet cure and smoke your own.
Put hog jowl in pan and slow fry until all of the fat is cooked out.
Put into kettle and slow simmer about 30 minutes more.
Put ham hock into another kettle and simmer for about 1 hour.
This removes a lot of the salt.
Put beans ham hock and jowl into large crock pot with water and cook on medium over night or all day.
12 hours is best.
Remove ham hock NOT jowl and let cool.
Separate meat from ALL the bones and put bones aside.
Put meat (Skin and all) and some of the bean water into a big blender and liquefy.
You may find you need more water in the beans at this time and if you do only put boiling water in.
This will keep the skin from coming off of the beans cold water will do this. (If the skin comes off they won’t be fit for the gods.)
Pour the liquefied ham hocks back into the beans and stir.
PS don’t tell anyone you have liquefied ham hocks in the beans.
Enjoy
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote