Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 5, 2006   #1
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Default Jiffy peat pots

I use Jiffy peat pots to start seedlings because its convenient.

Recently I pulled a few dying plants and noticed that the plastic nettings which hold the peat ball together did not decompose and the roots were forming around it.

Is this a problem? The plants seem to do well just the same.

Thanks

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2006   #2
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

dcarch i just come in from cleaning out one of my tomato beds and i noticed that almost everyone of my plants (18 plants) had the peat pot still on them and it sure didn't affect them but now i always tore the bottom off before i planted them i don't know why i just did but what i thought was weird was that they had been in the ground since early April and they had'nt dissoveld yet.
Old September 5, 2006   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Peat pots are not a good choice for many people. The pot doesn't break down and often the pot steals water from the soil and then harbors fungus, mold, etc. Some people have great success with them.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2006   #4
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon27
Peat pots are not a good choice for many people. The pot doesn't break down and often the pot steals water from the soil and then harbors fungus, mold, etc. Some people have great success with them.
You watch out. The Jiffy people is gonna come get cha!

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2006   #5
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Whatcha goona do when they come for you ? peat pots peat pots
Old September 5, 2006   #6
psa
Tomatovillian™

I would not recommend actual peat pots for anyone, for all of the reasons listed.

From dcarch's mention of netting, though, it sounds like we're talking about pellets. I've used the pellets in the past with great success, but I've never seen the netting break down, in any kind of growing situation. Tomatoes planted in them have never had trouble putting roots through for me, but when removing the plants at the end of the season the pots are always still there. Because of the way I handle tomatoes these pots would end up 12" under ground in the garden, so it's hard for them to have caused much trouble. Exhuming the root ball from the ground is difficult, but I have found fully intact netting.

These days I don't use the pellets for tomatoes because it's too inefficient for a large number of plants. In rare cases I still use them for certain plants, but in those cases I gently remove the netting before potting up.
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2006   #7
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

psa, I too use the peat pellets for some of the plants that I am going to plant for myself. I use small plastic drinking cups for all that are to be given away/sold.
Usually I rip of the netting off because I have found it when digging over the garden in the following winter and it certainly hasn't rotted away. I suspect that the roots will still get through but I just do it anyhow.
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote