Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 15, 2013   #1
miatapa
Tomatovillian™

Default Disease in my soil?

I'm growing about 15 tomatoes, primarily Paul Robeson heirlooms I started from seed. I have one huge one in a big pot & the rest are now in the ground. After being planted they have all developed a leaf curl within about 4 days (they were not planted the same day, but as much as a month apart). It's not restricted to that variety, it has also happened to a Jetstar and several others. No 2,4-D in the vicinity that I'm aware of. I spaded in composted manure last fall, which I thought might be the cause, but then remembered that it also happened last year prior to the manure compost. The tomatoes survive it but I'm sure it sets them back. The one in the pot does not have the curl. I've sprayed some of the affected ones with insecticidal soap but to seems to not make any difference. They are watered with untreated secondary water (from the local reservoir) but so is the unaffected one in the pot.

The only thing I can surmise is something in the soil may be causing it. Does anyone have experience with this sort of problem?

Thanks for any ideas.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
miatapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #2
miatapa
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple of photos of a tomato planted earlier this week and one of the affected plant.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371316270495.jpg (222.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1371316305591.jpg (152.5 KB, 94 views)
Old June 15, 2013   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

That does look like herbicide damage. Many reports of it this year. I was hit with spray drift as well this year on my container plants. I can't really say if yours is drift or something in the soil.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #4
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

miatapa,
Leaf curl can be caused by a number of things. Too much moisture can cause leaf curl on a plant. Many times after a rainy cool period leaves will curl to expel moisture from the plant. The lack of moisture can also cause a plant to curl it's leaves. Most times leaf curl can be associated with external stress put on the plant. Examine the curled foliage of your plants for yellowing margins that can indicate the you have Tomato Leaf Curl Virus. This virus is transmitted by whiteflies and can be treated with antibacterial soap or neem oil. I've had leaf curl on a few occasions and they always grew out of it. Monitor your plants closely over the next few days to see if the situation gets worse. If any plant becomes noticeably worse, I would either pull it, or isolate it from the rest of your plants. I can't tell for sure by the pictures, but I believe that you'll be ok. Please let us know how you make out.
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #5
miatapa
Tomatovillian™

I just ignored this leaf curl last year & it didn't seem to impair the amount of tomatoes I got from the Paul Robeson tomatoes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk