Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 25, 2007   #1
chanceysmama
Tomatovillian™

Default Dr. Bronners Soap for Stink Bugs?????

Ok, so I have been reading up on the stink bug problem and am willing to try Dr. Bronners liquid soap and went to thier website and they are all scented, Does it matter which one I get? I have a heavy infestation from my summer and winter squash and have heavily heavily sprayed an insecticide, not sure the name, its in the shop, but it done nothing to them just made them run, couldnt tell that it killed any of them. And the fumes were so bad I couldnt stand it even with a mask on. And didnt really want to spray that kind of stuff anyway.
chanceysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2007   #2
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I once got Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap in my eye and wound up at the eye doctor. It's very strong stuff maybe the almond is less so. Murphy's Oil Soap is what I choose to use--any soap makes the bug's shell deteriorate and results in their death. I use Murphy's on Japanese beetles and it kills them right fine. (On wasps I use hair spray, it suffocates them.)
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2007   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Whatever you might decide to use in terms of soap sprays, don't spray in direct sunlight or when it is hot. Very early in the morning is usually the best time. Also keep in mind that soap sprays generally only work on contact. In other words, any residue left on the plants isn't going to later kill insects. That is why, when I use soap sprays, I only leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse off. It can make plants photosensitive, especially in a hot climate.

Soap sprays are most useful against soft bodied insects, and are likely going to have little effect on stink bugs, other than perhaps getting them to flee the plants when you are spraying. Some have reported that (in their experience) the nymphs can be killed with a soap spray. I can't say I've had the same results.

For stink bugs, I generally only treat early in the season, as I've found that by knocking down their population early in the game before they take a foothold, I have few problems with them later.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #4
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

Suze, what do you treat with early in the season if you haven't had any luck with soap sprays?
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappybob View Post
Suze, what do you treat with early in the season if you haven't had any luck with soap sprays?
Hi, Bob -- usually either Pyganic (pyrethrin) or sometimes bifenthrin (sometimes sold under the Ortho bug-be-gone label). Just a couple of times early on in the season right after the plants have begun to set some serious fruit seems to mostly do the trick. Hot weather / spraying in direct sun cautions would apply with these as well.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I experimented with the dr bronners soap this year when I was having a stink bug infestation. I started with some garlic barrier mixed with water and that did nothing. I added the peppermint soap to the quart spray jar ( probably added way too much) and it did indeed kill the stinkbugs, leaffooted bugs, etc. , but it also caused damage to the foliage. And you have to make direct contact with the insect for it to work. I tried mixing 1 tbsp per quart on my next batch and it still worked but again would cause foliage damage if left on the plant, so rinsing would be required. In the end , a ton of work when you have as many as I did, and they can ruin the fruit by the time you get to them. This fall, I plan to use the ortho bug be gone starting with the perimeter of the yard to see if I have better results controlling them.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2007   #7
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Leafr footed bugs and stink bugs are hard to kill unless you directly spray them. If I have to hunt them down I fine it is just as effective with less risk to the plants to make a bit of sudsy water in a quart container with a wide mouth. I walk around the garden and knock every bug I can catch into the soapy water(they don't come out). I repeat the hyunt for a few days and it severely impairs the stink bug population. So In my opinion and experience hand picking is just as effective as direct spraikng for this type of pest.
The dead bodies can be used in the compost heap or for a "bug Juice" spray.

I had stink bugs in June, I had less in July, I saw no stinkbugs or leaf footed bugs in August and early september. If I had they would have gotten a bubble bath too. It's actually fun.
bryanccfshr is offline   Reply With Quote