Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 11, 2016   #1
goodguys3
Tomatovillian™

Default Winter Gardening Veggies

Here are some winter season veggies that you can grow. Onions, radish, lettuce, garlic, leeks, peas etc
goodguys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #2
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

I'd add kale, collards and spinach to that list as they are probably the most healty winter crops you can grow.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Ya'll forgot carrots, beets, turnips, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, bean sprouts, kolrabi and micro greens.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #4
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

You forgot we're a little bit lazy.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #5
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Add shallots and fava beans, chard, arugula, sometimes potatoes.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2016   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have cucumbers and beans planted for fall and already have mustard greens and a few broccoli already in the garden. I have lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts ready to go out in the garden as soon as it gets a bit cooler. Soon it will be time to start carrots, spinach, more lettuce and onions.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2016   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There's a guy on another web forum who is a market gardener in Zone 5 Kansas. He has posted a lot of impressive pics of his high tunnels in winter. He harvests year-round. In some of his pics, there's a foot of snow on the ground outside. Inside the high tunnel, he uses a low-tunnel type of row cover, and also pulls a frost blanket over the rows on very cold nights. He grows greens, turnips, and carrots. It's all very impressive, but it looks like a lot more work than I am willing to do.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2016   #8
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have cucumbers and beans planted for fall and already have mustard greens and a few broccoli already in the garden. I have lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts ready to go out in the garden as soon as it gets a bit cooler. Soon it will be time to start carrots, spinach, more lettuce and onions.

Bill
I am growing carrots, leeks, snow peas, kale, lettuce, kalettes and snow peas. With the weather here still in the mid 70's, I plan to wait until the end of the month to plant my garlic.

The last frost day for my area is October 13 but this year my Blue Lake beans, Tomato Cupid, and Tomato Sugar Rush are still producing fruit daily. As are several of my peppers: Ancho Poblano Tiburon Pepper, Hot Chili Habanero Yellow Sun Gold Pepper, Hot Chili Chocolate Bhut Jolokia Pepper, Hot Rey Pakal Pepper, Mucho Nocho Jalapeno, Hot Chili Spicey Slice Jalapeno Pepper and Orange Blaze Bell Pepper.
I can see the signs -- 'Winter is coming'.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #9
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

What can start/plant in zone 8a in NC , now ?
We will have FF some time in November.
I will plant garlic in mid November. I am in the process of making a garden in native sandy soil ( about 90% sand). Adding lots of fall leave, pine straw and wood ash.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #10
mamaboog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
What can start/plant in zone 8a in NC , now ?
We will have FF some time in November.
I will plant garlic in mid November. I am in the process of making a garden in native sandy soil ( about 90% sand). Adding lots of fall leave, pine straw and wood ash.
I put some peas, spinach, kale, and lettuce mix in! They're slow growing, but the only thing that'll probably die prematurely are the peas.
mamaboog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #11
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I cheated and jumped the gun and this front cooled us down, the weather will be perfect all week with low 50's and mid 80's.

Brocolli up front and collards in the back

Squash still going, a few cauliflower that the bugs didn't get mixed with cabbage and 2 rows of sweet potatoes on the right
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #12
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboog View Post
I put some peas, spinach, kale, and lettuce mix in! They're slow growing, but the only thing that'll probably die prematurely are the peas.
Thank you for the reply.
I will get some of those you have mentioned. I will skip the peas. I rather plant them early spring.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #13
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Shoot, it's too hot here for any of my squash to even set yet. I'm just now getting cowpea flowers. I'm guessing winter is not coming, based on the 10 day forecast & the La Niña prediction. I'm thinking in December we'll have a week of "fall."

Desert problems.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

We had a frost in the area but my late summer planted backyard squash made it along with the tomatoes. The squash is growing slow in the shorter day and cold night. What was the size of a jalapeno before the frost are about the size of a brat over a week later . They're still nice and firm and I hope they get to cucumber size by the heavy cold coming next week. In summer they would be like a monster baseball bat by now.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2016   #15
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

My kalettes are finally ready for harvesting. We are going to have them for dinner tonight.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote