Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old February 27, 2013   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default My Global Bucket Using Only Liquid Fert

I am experimenting with a global bucket that I am only using liquid fert with. Its in my greenhouse and was planted out about the first week of January or so. Its a Bushy Chabarovsky. Its a determinate dwarf variety, usually about 1.5-2.0 feet tall. My bucket is made the way the website describes. The mix is Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix.

There is no fertilizer strip-I have only been using liquid fert as a soil drench about every two week-I put in about 1/2 gallon.

I started using General Hydroponics 7-4-10 with micros-its called Flora Nova Grow-1 tsp per gallon. I used that about 3 times. I then used twice Flora Nova Bloom, which is a 4-8-7 with micros (not as complete as Grow, but it has cal/mag and some other micros-1 tsp per gallon twice. I am now using 0-4-4 Saltwater Farms Sea Start, 1 tsp per gallon. I shaved a little bit of BiotaMax from one of the tablets, and put it in with the first Sea Start soil drench.

I have never seen as many flowers as this plant has, and I have grown this variety at least 3 times. There are at least 19 fruit right now, and there are probably 50 flowers on the plant.

The water is my usual ro water-I have been using it for 5 years or so, so that is not different. The only thing different is the liquid fert only in the global bucket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (197.4 KB, 201 views)
Old February 27, 2013   #2
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

Wow, it looks like it's working very well...
davidstcldfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #3
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Looking AWESOME! I've always had great experience with GH. Keep us updated on the fruitset please.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

You can see at least one fruit on the right side about middle. That truss has 6 fruit on it.
Old February 27, 2013   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking.

Nice

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Michael,
Great results!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I will try and keep this thread updated. The theory between the earthbox/earthtainer/global buckets is to use a fert strip and then walk away. But then you start reading threads about using calcium nitrate as a "snack." So that means that you are adding to the ferts-although the "snack" is put down the tube. I am doing a soil drench, which is easy to do and doesn't take much time per bucket.
Old February 28, 2013   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I had to take the plant and put it on the surface of the greenhouse, put a cage around it. It was going to get fried, with the temps in the greenhouse climbing.
Old February 28, 2013   #9
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

^oh well hopefully it's fine. I had to pull my hoop house cover off 3 weeks ago for the same reason. Keep us posted.

Are you also applying bokashi love juice to this plant?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Cran

Not using any juice-my wife and I are gone at least two weeks a month, and so I am not using the second bucket-the juice just goes into the ground. The plant looks good-not much damage getting the cage over it.
Old March 15, 2013   #11
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

holy moly, that looks like it's going gangbusters! thanks for sharing.
Old March 15, 2013   #12
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Michael,
I use "global bucket" five and four gallons. Start plants with Garden-tone and lime mixed throughout growing mix. Throughout the remainder of season I use drip system to deliver only very weak liquid fertilizer daily, miracle grow, with a monthly or so drenching with Neptunes Fish and Seaweed. Have had best results last two years with this approach, so am not at all surprised at your excellent results. I use a homemade drip, consisting of a garden hose with pin holes and an EZ-Flo to deliver the weak liquid fertilizer daily with water....(I'm too lazy to do the periodic drench). I put the Miracle Gro in the EZ-FLO every 4-6 weeks, and have on a timer, 20 minutes twice a day.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013   #13
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lake lady

My wife and I have been gone for two weeks so will post update next week.

Charleston-there are more than one way to skin a cat! I am interested if liquid feet only will do the job. Sounds like you have your method down.
Old March 16, 2013   #14
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Michael,
Agree...think you'll find liquid fert will be just fine as long as it or growing mix or both can deliver the micros as needed. Good luck.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #15
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

I've long given my earthtainer corn a "kick" every couple weeks with some liquid fish fertilizer and some Monty's Joy Juice down the tube. Normal fertilizer strips as well. Works great!
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote