Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 18, 2016   #1
Antipodean
Tomatovillian™

Default Nutrient Deficiency - Interesting Observation

Hi from the southern hemisphere!

Its early season so far, my 30 plants (about a dozen varieties) are setting heaps of fruit however I'm still a couple of weeks off picking any.

They are all generally in good health, except i've noticed some lower leaf mag deficiencies in a few plants however only in the potato leafed varieties (all of them - x5, Earl's Faux/Marianna Peace). And then i've noticed some other type of nutrient deficiency (not sure which) in the new growth but only in my 3 German Red Strawberry plants.

I'm not actually worried about any of this as its just minor, however I'm curious as the lower leaf deficiencies are only obvious in the potato leaf varieties, and then the upper leaf deficiencies only in the German Red Strawberry plants.

They are scattered around in 4 different raised beds, and all the other varieties (regular leaf) growing by their sides look perfectly healthy.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis or a cure, just wondering whether any here have experienced deficiency issues with certain varieties? Btw, the German Red is a beast of a plant and they are massive so perhaps they have a higher requirement for nutrients?

Love to hear you thoughts!!
Antipodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2016   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

There are serious differences in deficiency symptoms between some varieties, yes.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipodean View Post
Hi from the southern hemisphere!

Its early season so far, my 30 plants (about a dozen varieties) are setting heaps of fruit however I'm still a couple of weeks off picking any.

They are all generally in good health, except i've noticed some lower leaf mag deficiencies in a few plants however only in the potato leafed varieties (all of them - x5, Earl's Faux/Marianna Peace). And then i've noticed some other type of nutrient deficiency (not sure which) in the new growth but only in my 3 German Red Strawberry plants.

I'm not actually worried about any of this as its just minor, however I'm curious as the lower leaf deficiencies are only obvious in the potato leaf varieties, and then the upper leaf deficiencies only in the German Red Strawberry plants.

They are scattered around in 4 different raised beds, and all the other varieties (regular leaf) growing by their sides look perfectly healthy.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis or a cure, just wondering whether any here have experienced deficiency issues with certain varieties? Btw, the German Red is a beast of a plant and they are massive so perhaps they have a higher requirement for nutrients?

Love to hear you thoughts!!
If you post pictures, it can help some experts here to give you advice.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2016   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

You may also just be seeing differences between varieties in how quickly the older foliage senesces. Photos would help.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote