Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 15, 2016   #1
Hot Sauce
Tomatovillian™

Default "Yellow" Boxcar Willie ?

Last year (2015), I saved the seed from two of my best Boxcar Willie tomato plants. This year, I planted fourteen plants. Out of the fourteen plants, two of them produced beautiful bright lemon yellow tomatoes the size of Boxcar Willie. There was no red or pink in them, just pure yellow, and they were very good tasting. It also appears that these tomatoes are more resistant to stink bug damage than the red ones. The remaining twelve tomato plants came true to Boxcar Willie.

I did not have any yellow tomatoes growing anywhere in the garden last year. So I do not know how I got these yellow tomatoes. I saved the seed and will grow 25 plants next year to see if they run true. And I want to further check the stink bug resistance. Maybe these bugs prefer red tomatoes.

I have attached a photo of the yellow tomatoes with the red tomatoes. Maybe someone in the forum has an explanation of how the yellows showed up.

Ed

Boxcar Willie.jpg
Hot Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote