Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2009   #16
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

The name may be registered, but that is actually the company name, not the tomato name. On the package they just called them "yellow grape". Personally I wouldn't call them yellow at all. Yellow plum and Ildi are yellow. These are gold/orange more the color of Sun Golds.

I'm guessing that they ARE hybrid, and possibly something like the Santas, are exclusive with some big corp.

The variety I found being sold in UK with that name doesn't look like it's the same variety, different shape.

I really don't know how the grape hybrids segregate out. I've grown saved seed from Santas I bought from the store and other generic grapes and what I've grown out in the past was always grape. I haven't kept good track of what generation I'm on with those grow-outs but it has to be more than F-3 by now.

I know that Sun Gold and Sun Sugar do throw a lot of odd fruited plants, but Sweet Million (or was it 100) came true to type when people grew it out.

I'll try to let TV know how these do for me this summer.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2009   #17
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Update time.

Unfortunately I got busy and only got the first seeds planted this year. Those were the tomatoes that tasted rather awful when I got them from the store.

But we recently tasted some of the orange grapes that are growing and boy are they good. To me they are very close if not the same as the SunSugars, just grape shaped. I will definately be saving seed from these that will be F-3 seed.

There are 2 plantings of them, but so far I've only seen 1 area with about 10 plants. All look to be grape shaped and all are orange colored. So far no oddballs.

Carol
Old September 10, 2009   #18
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

The UK has orange Santa F1

link http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/87/1/

The strange thing is that Orange Santa F1 is not sold in the US by Thompson and Morgan Seed Can only bought in Europe and UK.

Last edited by geeboss; September 10, 2009 at 06:57 AM.
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2009   #19
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Those look similar to what I have.

But 4 pounds for 6 seeds is hyway robbery. That comes out to something like $1 / seed if not more.

Carol
Old September 11, 2009   #20
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

GeeBoss, T&M used to sell Orange Santa through their U.S. catalog. I got a pack from them a couple years ago.
Old September 11, 2009   #21
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

thanks bitterwort for the information on orange santa. Wish I could find it and grow it for DW who loves small tomatoes for snacking.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2009   #22
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Well I will be saving seeds from this orange grape and if I get enough I'll have some for trades this winter.The only thing will be that those seeds will be the F-3 and from what I've learned at TV, the F-3 is where we may see the oddballs of the genitics.

Carol
Old October 30, 2013   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Kicking this..I was googling "orange grape tomatoes" and look where it directed me...right back to Tomatoville.

I, also, bought an orange grape tomato this summer at Sam's Club and it was awesome. I saved and grew the seeds from one fruit and the results were fabulous. I absolutely loved the "f1" of this tomato. Unfortunately it didn't do well outside, only in the greenhouse.It tastes as if there is a drop of honey in each tomato.

Has anyone figured out what this tomato might be? or did you grow it farther than an f3? I saved the seeds again this week and am planning on growing it out again this summer.
Old October 30, 2013   #24
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I think there were about 25 packs of "Orange Santa" in my swap last year. I have no idea if they were F2's or beyond. Hopefully someone will post about this tomato.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2013   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I hope you get some Santa seeds in the swap this year! I'd love to try some, and perhaps people will write on the packets what F-stage they are!

I was just looking at some red Santa grape tomatoes today at our Harris Teeter grocery store and trying to decide whether to buy some at nearly $5 for a small punnet. Maybe I will when I've run out of the last of my home-grown cherries.

Looking forward to learning more about orange cherry tomatoes.

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I think there were about 25 packs of "Orange Santa" in my swap last year. I have no idea if they were F2's or beyond. Hopefully someone will post about this tomato.

Gary
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2013   #26
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I currently have 2 varieties of I grow out every year -- Aldi Orange Grape and Sunbelle Grape. Both are named after the fruit source I got the original seeds from since I have no idea what they originally were. I have them each at F-4 or 5 and they both seem to grow the same each year.

The only dif seems to be that some years they crack a bit more than other years and that is mostly environmental. Also some years they seem a bit more flavorful and that is also environmental. This year they were a bit so-so but we had a mostly cool to cold summer.

Carol
Old November 1, 2013   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

our Summer was cool to cold, too. I planted two of these outside and they were awful in disease and crack resistance. the other two I planted inside the greenhouse in a bale of potting mix (and there is ground cover in there too), so they have no contact with the ground... they were fabulous in flavor and none of them cracked. I am still picking them a pint at a time and I would eat them all myself if I could. I will grow them again in the Spring. Too bad we just don't know what they are.
Old November 1, 2013   #28
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I didn't notice them any worse than their neighbors for disease this summer.

But We didn't seem to have much disease. Plenty of weed issues tho. Not much bugs but bigger critter issues like birds and chippies and squirrels.

Except we did have some horn worms around. We rarely see any at all and this year found about a dozen. But oddly there was only 1 of the green tomato horn worms and the others were the brown tobacco horn worms. (No tobacco within 50 miles that I know about) Even saw 1 Hummingbird moth in the broccoli. When I looked it up I found that it's actually sort of a beneficial for pollinating things. But I'll leave the pollinating to other things as the horn worms do more damage than the moth helps. All horn worms seen were stepped on.

It was an ugly year for me. Not much tomato production or anything else that needed heat.

Carol
Old November 1, 2013   #29
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I am trying to stabilize Orange Santa, seeds of which I picked up at T&M many years ago.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2016   #30
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

This is an old thread, but it came up when I was trying to find orange grape tomatoes.

Can anyone recommend any OP orange grape tomatoes?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote