Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 19, 2009   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Can you mix BT and Copper?

I'll be darned if my few remaining plants are taken out by critters! Kill them all I say. . . I haven't had one mater yet, gosh darnit!

So I've read the label on the copper and it's very confusing about mixing. . . I'm sure I can figure it out if I spend like four hours on google . . . but I thought I'd ask here first.

Also. . . If I spray separately how long do I need to wait? Can I just wait for the copper or BT to dry then spray the other!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old August 19, 2009   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasshoes View Post
I'll be darned if my few remaining plants are taken out by critters! Kill them all I say. . . I haven't had one mater yet, gosh darnit!

So I've read the label on the copper and it's very confusing about mixing. . . I'm sure I can figure it out if I spend like four hours on google . . . but I thought I'd ask here first.

Also. . . If I spray separately how long do I need to wait? Can I just wait for the copper or BT to dry then spray the other!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
Heather, what critters are you using the BT for?

And why are you using the copper?

if one is more important than the other then I never mix two products at one time and spray b'c one may block the other rendering it useless.
Old August 19, 2009   #3
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Worms. I've caught a few and picked off about 10 singular eggs. . . but I'm pretty sure some are still hiding.

Copper---- late blight. Can't spray Daconil nextdoor/technically on an organic farm.

Thanks.

Also. . . I just went out and found this. This isn't late blight is it? It was 90 or so today and this side was exposed to the sun. . . so it is likely sunscald with a secondary infection that happened quickly, no?

Please say it is not late blight.

ps---- I also have grey mold. . . though the pics online of grey mold on maters don't look like that. I'm sure the initial plant infection at least is grey mold and not late blight----- it's next to flowers that have it (I thought the stuff on my peonies was black spot. . . actually it is grey mold. . . also on about 150 sqaure feet of black-eyed susans. . . didn't know what was going on until it was too late. :0) Though wiith our weather I'm not sure it would have made a difference. :0)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg question 1.jpg (271.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg question2.jpg (325.0 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by hasshoes; August 19, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: ps
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I had a couple of big tomatoes with a spot similar to the first pic. They were smooshed up against the cage right in that spot so I figured that was more of a bruise and tossed them in the compost pile.
I will be interested in hearing what others have to say.
Old August 20, 2009   #5
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

I have been getting a lot of fruit with internal rotting like that. No late blight that I know of in this area and certainly none that I have identified in my garden so I've been attributing it to something similar to BER only on the inside of the fruit instead of outside. Its pretty frustrating as its been getting about half of my Earl's Faux, BWS, and Ed's Millenium just as they start to ripen.

Pretty frustrating, but what can you do?

If it is a disease you can treat for I'd like to know what to use. I've been using daconil very regularly to try and keep the Septoria Leaf Spot that overran my dwarf project plants from spreading.

--Justin
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2009   #6
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Well. . . I figured it out guys. . . WORMS! Sigh.

Look at the second photo on the upper part of the damage. See the little hole? It's not catfacing. . . but rather the hole of a tomato fruitworm. Grrrrrr! What a year.