Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 8, 2018   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedling transplanting has begun..

Well, its that time. I determined that the Tomatoes in the 72 cell plug trays would probably appreciate roomier accommodations.

A nice healthy unrestricted root structure. Been feeding with Jacks 20-20-20 at about 200 PPM every other watering. I use a Blue Lab Truncheon Meter to check.

I started mixing my soil in one of these "Odd Job" brand containers I found at the Big Box Store. By pure coincidence a web tray fits over. Im using the 1801 Deep Inserts as recommended by Cole Robbie. I only bought four sheets to test out. I need to go Monday to my wholesaler and buy a case. I do like these. Previously have used, and still have some of the 1801 shallow inserts.

Transplanted 54 Prudens Purple, 6 Kelloggs, and 6 Trip-L-Crop. Also transplanted 24 Oregano and 6 Sage plants. Then sowed Petite Mixed Marigolds, and not shown in this photo but sowed around 150 Carolina Reaper seeds.

The above Tomatoes are for early production. Ill be able to start picking in mid May.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Your seedlings look very good. What are your plans for 150 Reaper plants? I had 2 last year that each produced about 5 lbs of peppers. I'm overwintering them in hopes of even more production this year.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2018   #3
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
Your seedlings look very good. What are your plans for 150 Reaper plants? I had 2 last year that each produced about 5 lbs of peppers. I'm overwintering them in hopes of even more production this year.
Im going to sell them suckers!

Being that they can be hard to come by, Im thinking about asking $7 ea.

I would like to keep maybe 5 for myself to grow out for seed, and 1 or 2 for pepper production, for those folks who want to pay $10 for a couple dried peppers. Maybe in a couple years be able to offer the seeds. But, and this is a big "but", I will certainly have to build a screen house to keep them pure.

Im hoping these grow true. My supplier reassured me that they should be around 95% pure. This is the same supplier whom I got a lovely Trinidad Scorpion from a few years back. Never saved the seeds from it, kinda regretting that now.

Just on a side note, down in the envelope was a tiny, and I mean very tiny sliver of dried red pepper skin. It was stuck to a seed. It was probably 1/3 of the size of a seed for reference. Like any opportunistic fool, I popped the piece into my mouth. I figured if it was really dry, then no harm.

Yeah, I was wrong. It didnt light me up, but it had some power behind it. A heat that was more acidic like. Instant runny nose and sinus drainage. And a cough that wouldnt stop. My chest burned for a good while, every time I took a breath.

Cleared my head right up.
Old February 9, 2018   #4
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

This morning I started getting potting supplies out of storage. Im one of those people that have to see with my own eyes. Helps me to make a plan.

About the only pots I need are the 1801s and 1 Gallon. I didnt even realize that I had so many 1 quart pots. I was thinking I had around 100-200. But to my surprise, around 700. Also, some leftover hanging baskets that are missing the hangers. These will make fine pots that just set on a porch step, or something similar.

Just setting up the baskets. These dont have soil in them. I had enough hangers to do 33 baskets.

Fun times ahead.
Old February 9, 2018   #5
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Fun Times!!!!!!

I think everybody uses those tubs, I have 2 and I need more.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #6
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Fun Times!!!!!!

I think everybody uses those tubs, I have 2 and I need more.
Previously I used a 33 gallon tote to mix in. You could put a lot of soil in there, but a royal pain to mix. You had to do layers.

This is by far better.

I like the fact that the flat can straddle across the top, or set down inside of the "trough". Makes filling them go much faster.
Old February 12, 2018   #7
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

So I made a trip to my wholesaler today. Had to get some 1801 Deep Inserts and grabbed a 4 cu. ft. bag of vermiculite. This year Im replacing the perlite with the vermiculite. So far Im liking it.

Due to other obligations I was only able to transplant another 7 flats today. Those 7 were assorted peppers. These are intended for the garden for production. All though some may be set aside to be sold as container peppers.

And wouldnt you know it. Crappy weather is back. Tonights low is supposed to be 37. So the peppers are back in the house already. The tomatoes can wait until later this evening.

Old February 12, 2018   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That looks like a mortar mixing bin. I use them for bottom-watering my plants, too. The plastic lasts well in the sun. It's especially easy when the inserts are all still attached to each other. The thing floats like a boat when dry. But after the pots get separated, the water level has to be shallow, or they bob up and tip over. I water all my plants by bottom watering until soaked - I'm sold on that technique.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018   #9
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

It is indeed a Mortar Mixing Tub. Or at least, found in the Masonry aisle at Lowes. I did buy it to mix mortar originally. I had to do some brick work on my home, then it just set.

And your right, the plastic is tough. Im thinking they might have some UV resistance in the plastic. I bought it Spring of last year, and it set out in the open until just recently. Absolutely no signs of breaking down or becoming brittle.

As far as the dipping the pots go, if you use a water soluble fertilizer, there would certainly be very little, if any waste. So that would be good. I use Masterblend myself, and every ounce does add up, cost wise. My other goto is Jacks, but still costs money no matter what.

Im wondering, are there any larger Sheet-O-Pots type of product? I know they make a 801, but those are pretty shallow. Im thinking something that would be closer to a 2 quart to gallon size container. Doing flowers in those, and being able to dip those would be great.

Otherwise, im thinking about doing something like the stacking 4 way manifold with drip stakes to keep the potted flowers watered.

Last edited by FourOaks; February 12, 2018 at 08:45 PM.
Old February 13, 2018   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering if sterilizing pots by dipping a whole stack in bleach water (for example the stack in Post #4 above) and rinsing in a stack is sufficient. For the past few years I let each pot float around separately, drain. and fill with fresh water twice. It is quite a bit of work for me as the sink I use in the powder room is very small. I have always missed having a nice deep slop sink in the laundry area. My current method takes a lot of time and water.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018   #11
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I was wondering if sterilizing pots by dipping a whole stack in bleach water (for example the stack in Post #4 above) and rinsing in a stack is sufficient. For the past few years I let each pot float around separately, drain. and fill with fresh water twice. It is quite a bit of work for me as the sink I use in the powder room is very small. I have always missed having a nice deep slop sink in the laundry area. My current method takes a lot of time and water.

- Lisa
Since pots nest together fairly snug, I wouldnt think that would be effective. Instead, heres 2 options that might be a little more efficient.

1. 5 Gallon Bucket, or similar. Fill with bleach water. Dip pots in and right back out. Rinse pots.

2. Fill a spray bottle with bleach water. Spray pots. Rinse.

If im not mistaken, bleach water only has to make contact with the surface for a couple seconds. So no need to actually soak the containers.
Old February 14, 2018   #12
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

More transplanting today. Im now up to 38 flats done. These are assorted Peppers and Tomatoes, at various ages. Still have about a dozen flats to do tomorrow, then it will be time to plant more seeds.

Had to put a bunch of flats on the ground. Not a fan of that, but have run out of bench space for now.

Found the perfect tool to make holes for size 72 plugs. An old screwdriver.

Perfect holes.
Old February 14, 2018   #13
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, I know it's nice to be busy planting finally.

I tried using tools for those holes but my finger works best and it's faster. Transplanting is so tedious to me, I need to build a custom height table and find a comfortable stool.

Another thing I need to build is a flood and drain table for all the flats. It took me too long to soak flats in those Odjob. I can do 3 flats at a time but it takes a while for them to soak up the nutes(Masterblend). I think it took about 4 hours and I only have about 20 flats going.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I framed a 4' x 8' bin out of 2x10s and put a pond liner in it. That's my big watering bin.

I am hoping to build flood and drain tables soon, as I convert my high tunnel into a greenhouse for container plants. The drain might actually be optional, if I can put just the right amount of water on to the table so that the plants soak it all up. I would most like to automate that system, but I am not there yet.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #15
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Looking good, I know it's nice to be busy planting finally.

I tried using tools for those holes but my finger works best and it's faster. Transplanting is so tedious to me, I need to build a custom height table and find a comfortable stool.
Comfort definitely has to come first. For me, the bench height, with the oddjob tote, then the flat on top of that is just about right. A couple inches taller wouldnt be bad, but it works.

As far as making the holes, it just depends. For me, for the #72s its just right. I was knocking more soil out when I just used my fingers. Then I tried filling the cells about half way, hold up the leaves, then back fill. That was taking forever. So I had the screw driver laying around from working on the furnace. I punch the holes, then drop in the plugs. Done.

The smaller seedlings, I use my finger.

Quote:
Another thing I need to build is a flood and drain table for all the flats. It took me too long to soak flats in those Odjob. I can do 3 flats at a time but it takes a while for them to soak up the nutes(Masterblend). I think it took about 4 hours and I only have about 20 flats going.
That is one artifact about the idea of soaking that I dont like, the time involved. I dont soak as a matter of regular procedure, but have done it to save some seriously wilted plants. No doubt it works, but to be efficient it would take some serious infrastructure.

Im not sure what the perfect answer is. At this time of year I am forced to tote hot water from the house, out to the seedling house. I do have an old propane water tank which would be ideal. Just have to check it out. It might still function, it might not. Or, if I could get my hands on a cheap on demand water heater, that would be great.

Later in the season, I mix Masterblend in an IBC and use a shallow well pump to get it where it needs to go.

That reminds me, this year I am going to spend the money and buy a Dramm watering wand, with a water breaker. Tired of fooling around with the cheap ones from the Hardware stores.