Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old August 2, 2012   #16
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

We have probably 6 or more currant varieties in the ground this year. I'll try to remember to check on them to see if any of them ripen the better part of a truss all at one time. We just picked things today tho, so it will be sometime next week before enough more are ripe.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #17
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carol, that would definately give me something to go on for the truss idea.

I'm going to give the Hawaiian Currant plant a few days to ripen another handful and give it a shake to see if they just fall off.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2012   #18
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Gotta say Carol will bend over backwards and jump thru hoops to help anyone out or give free advise. Well done! Maybe the Master Tomatovillian label should be given to her....oh wait that doesnt sound right....how about one really nice lady! Thanks for all you add to this forum Carol!
Hope your season is going well and all the produce is growing fast and headed to market.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2012   #19
Keger
Tomatovillian™

tutt,

I have found that prices are pretty steady around here. Which is about 4 bucks apound at farmers market ( we sell by the bucket, cant use scales there) and a couple restraunts are players in the buck a pound range. I know that doesnt sound great, but it is realistic. And of course all they want is perfect shape and color with heirloom taste.

Gives us something to work on I guess.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2012   #20
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I've quickly figured out that to make it worth the time I'll have to find a unique niche or do the farmers markets. The currants and some unique small salad types that they can't order wholesale are looking promising in that regard.

Even at the farmers market here there isn't much of a heirloom market at the moment because people want that flawless crack free appearance. I had a chef come and pick some himself for a farm to table dinner yesterday and it took him over an hour to find enough crack free examples of the unique types he wanted because we've gone from drought to frequent rain for the past couple of weeks. I just ran another 5 gallon bucket of splits through the Sauce Master this morning and am planning on canning salsa tomorrow.

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; August 4, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old August 11, 2012   #21
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi mark -
We grow Little Julia for the markets but they don't ripen a whole truss so you can cut them. White Currant does. We are selling tons of blues, but we have had a dry year and the flavor is quite good. I also added iron to the soil as a test and brix levels are up on those plots. Not exactly a controlled experiment, though.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2012   #22
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I'll have a look at those two, thanks!

I'd done soil tests last year and amended for the micros that were low including iron, I'm going to get tests done again this fall. I was on a good track, I had all the tomatoes heavily mulched and wasn't having to water much, then someone turned the rain back on and forgot about it. Totally backwards season, we normally have a wet spring and early summer and then it turns dry. It's hard to tell what I should repeat next year based on this one...