Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 8, 2013   #1
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default A couple new F1s

The small red w/ gold cherry is Aft/+, atv/+. Just a hint of anthocyanin in the fruit, but more obvious in the sepals. To my surprize the pigmentation is most pronounced in the lower stem. I should get what I'm looking for in the F2. Taste is very good.

The nippled grape has a deep red interior with an exterior that looks like red washed with gold. Taste is excellent. This is the result of a double cross. I only grew two F1's from this cross this winter - I'll plant more this summer along with the two F2s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Choco x ISC.jpg (245.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg X57 x Pan2.jpg (168.2 KB, 86 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #2
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Wow,

they look great, especially the one on the right.

Hope you have a lot of sucsess with the later generations.

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
The small red w/ gold cherry is Aft/+, atv/+. Just a hint of anthocyanin in the fruit, but more obvious in the sepals. To my surprize the pigmentation is most pronounced in the lower stem. I should get what I'm looking for in the F2. Taste is very good.

The nippled grape has a deep red interior with an exterior that looks like red washed with gold. Taste is excellent. This is the result of a double cross. I only grew two F1's from this cross this winter - I'll plant more this summer along with the two F2s.
Mark, the one on the right is about the same size and shape As Blush and Maglia Rose although the two latter ones don't have that tip.

Any common parentage there? No, I'm not asking about specific parentage just if there's anything shared with all three.

When you say taste isd good, or great, or whatever, what are some of the varieties that you're thinking of as standards for your own taste adjectives?

Yes, I know that what you like as to taste, some others may not agree with you, nevertheless I'm asking.

Carolyn
Old March 9, 2013   #4
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn - here are pictures of the parents - both are unstable breeding lines. X57 (on the left) is a F1 hybrid w/ one of Fred's elongated grapes as one parent. This seems to be contributing much to the shape of the hybrid pictured above.

Although taste is always about balance, I like sweet and fruity in cherries, with enough acid to balance it out. In larger fruit I go for the more rich tomatoey taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X57.jpg (259.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Pandora's Box.jpg (281.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by frogsleap farm; March 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: forgot to attach photos
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #5
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

Default taste

Mark I have a striped cherry from the growout i did a couple years back for you. Best tasting cherry I have sampled in a while! Kudos. Meanwhile I have a dwarf variety from me looks like the second pick pretty much exactly but tastes of..... well it isn't stellar! But its a little monster I think I will mate the two! here is the question...what's the frequency that you find stellar taste out of a cross of such? 1:100 1:1000 or 1:1000000 Thanks!
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote