Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 9, 2018   #31
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, you should ask, if they've got something you want!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #32
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Last night, I only replied about the car part of your post. It was a very busy day of going to the mechanic/parts store/bank/loan place/bank/loan place/parts store/mechanic/...

Today is a new day, so I started looking up Fort Knox peppers. Getting info on that variety is like figuring out how to get gold out of Fort Knox So far, I've found that it is a golden yellow bell pepper. The Burpee site no longer lists it.
Fort Knox is a container pepper, yellow, small fruited mini bell about the size of a golf ball.

In my garden, inground, Alma Paprika was a large 3-4 foottall and wide bushy productive plant. I think a large stable container would serve you better than a small pot.

Do you have any whisky barrel or large planters that you could use for 2-4 varieties?

- Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; December 10, 2018 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Changed my mind, larger than a golf ball but not full sized.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I will think about it more Nan.

I have somewhere near as many pepper seed varieties as I do tomato seed varieties. So why am I not sharing pepper seeds so much? What I have learned about growing peppers doesn't agree with what I've read on so many sites. It is safe to say that most of us know that tomato plants cross pollinate causing new hybrids. Peppers cross pollinate x10+ compared to tomatoes.

I don't know if the pepper seeds I have gotten through trades or the ones I've grown myself are new hybrids/crosses. I don't want to send others crosses - unless they understand that it's a possibility.

The other thing I have learned is what I have read countless times about pepper seeds having a 2 year viability life is completely wrong. In 2016, I grew seeds from 2007 that Worth sent me. I still have a lot of those seeds Worth sent to me. I would imagine they would still be viable.

I have thought about a seed giveaway type thing where those participating are knowing that they are trying to grow 10+ year old seeds. I don't know if that would be of interest?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #34
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Salt, that’s why I label the seeds I share with op (open-pollinated) there’s always the chance of a cross. That’s why I collect seeds from more than 1 fruit and mix them, so that they are not all crossed. Share all the pepper seed you want

Talking about car problems. Someone sideswiped me hard in my 1 year old Forester. Its at the dealer body shop, and the repair estimate is 8,500.00. Their insurance is paying for it. I’m also going to file a loss of value claim.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2018   #35
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I'm not suggesting that you give OP pepper seed to the MMMM. Gary does like the peppers to be bagged or isolated. Just put whatever you like, peppers included, on your wish list for MMMM. It will cut down on your seed bill if you can get them through MMMM. The wish list is a separate part of the swap, separate from the Categories part.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2018   #36
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Salt, that’s why I label the seeds I share with op (open-pollinated) there’s always the chance of a cross. That’s why I collect seeds from more than 1 fruit and mix them, so that they are not all crossed. Share all the pepper seed you want

Talking about car problems. Someone sideswiped me hard in my 1 year old Forester. Its at the dealer body shop, and the repair estimate is 8,500.00. Their insurance is paying for it. I’m also going to file a loss of value claim.
I agree, and do save pepper seeds from many different peppers. I overdo it on saving seeds.

Sorry to hear about your car problems. Wow, $8,500, and I understand the loss of value claim.

I am so out of it - probably to the point of living in yesteryear. We used to drive cars and work on them ourselves until it was no longer worth putting in a new engine or stabbing a new transmission. I still have an engine pulling A frame... and a cherry picker. No, they haven't been used in years.

Going back to pepper seeds - some of the accidental hybrids have tasted very good. I guess I should share those seeds - it's better than tossing them.
Old December 12, 2018   #37
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Someone on this thread sent me Alma Paprika and other seeds that I received yesterday. Surprise

That leaves Fooled You Jalapeno F1 Hybrid and Pretty N Sweet F1 Hybrid seeds that I'm about to order today.

The Pretty N Sweet hybrid has really caught my attention. If they can grow in a 6 inch pot, are ornamental, and tastes good with little to no heat - that means that anyone with enough sun/light and warm enough conditions could grow them for their beauty if for no other reason. (What a long sentence.)

In 2016 or 2017, I grew Marbles peppers that look like a gumball. Our youngest grandson got his first bite of a 50,000 Scoville Unit pepper that year. He was being all sneaky about it, and then chomp...He didn't cry, but the look on his face I decided after that - that I would wait a couple of years before growing ornamentals again.
Old December 12, 2018   #38
PlainJane

This year I grew a very interesting little seasoning pepper called Biquinho Yellow. (It also comes in red and white)
The plants are very prolific and have the most unusual flavor with just a touch of heat. They’re from South America and often pickled. I add them and my red Mad Hatters to all my sautés and stir fries.
Old January 10, 2019   #39
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here it is January 10th (I think) every day is the same day to me. I'm going to start some pepper seeds this weekend. Tomato seeds are a few weeks later around February 1 or a little later. I have learned that starting plants too soon is not a good thing.
Old January 10, 2019   #40
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Why not start some flower seeds along with your peppers? I remember that your wife likes pretty things, and your grandchildren could make bouquets for the home for their mother and grandmother . Many flowers need a long time to grow indoors, and if you are early in starting peppers its flower starting time too.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #41
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lisa, I agree with you about the flowers. I'm growing Purslane with some of the peppers this year. Purslane is basically a weed here with pretty flowers. Very OP and they made a lot of seeds in the raised beds. The other flowering plants we have in the garden area are hybrid Lantanas. It just takes some cuttings to have a lot more of them. Then there are the invasive Morning Glories - they can become a pain quickly, but they are beautiful. The lantana and morning glories bring in the pollinators (Bees and butterflies). I'm not sure about the purslane.

I do always plant marigolds, but I sow them in ground. We have Black-eyed Susans that grow wild here - on this 11 acres there are hundreds of them or more. Lots of flowering cacti. I like any flower that is native, and there are too many that grow here to list.

I'm letting mother nature play her part, but as a human, I like to move them around.
Old January 13, 2019   #42
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Well, there's still one day left in the weekend. This has been a week of car problems (4 cars/trucks including mine and Jan's car) - followed with my wife's mother being taken to the ER and eventually the ICU today - Saturday. (Congestive Heart Failure at age 83)

I have to look at this thread just to remember what I wanted to plant - (Almost seriously). It has been a rough week. Today (Sunday) if nothing else, I plan on getting pepper seeds started in seed cells. I still don't have my lighting set up, but that part is quick and relatively easy.
Old January 13, 2019   #43
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I was a little puzzled by your posting in Cheap Eatin', as to why you were eating on the go it seemed plus you & Jan had no appetite. After reading this here, now I get it. Yes it HAS been a rough week for your family; I do hope things get better for both your mother-in-law and your cars. Sending positive thoughts your way, hang in there.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #44
PlainJane

So sorry, Salt. CGF is a b!tch. Hope next week is better for you both.
- Joyce
Old January 14, 2019   #45
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Peebee, yes, that why we have lost our appetites. With my wife's mother, we both care very much even though she... It's better not to share some things and just be glad that her mother gave birth to her.

The car problems are a pain. It's the longest lasting car we have had - 11 years. We will figure it out.

Joyce, yes the CHF has caused damage to her heart. A MRI and a Cardiologist are scheduled - I'm guessing Monday.

No, I didn't plant any pepper seeds today. My hands and body said enough is enough, and I didn't have much choice in the matter - even though I did push it. Sorry, I do post a lot about life. Sometimes it's too much or too little, but it's life.