Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 18, 2014   #1
splangemac
Tomatovillian™

Default Runner Beans "Wisley Magic"

Hi everyone,
last year I grow the most magnificent runner beans. Everything about them was fantastic and what's more there were tons of them. I was so impressed that I decided I would grow the same ones this year. Just the same as last year they grew well and plentiful. Unfortunately when it came to tasting the story was not as happy. They were extremely rubbery and, even though they'd been de strung meticulously were still extremely tough and stringy. They were picked just the same as last year and were not left too long so there's no question of them being too old. I just can't work it out the whole lot were terrible and so were the plants I gave to two friends, so I've crossed out that it could be down to my garden etc. as theirs turned out the same. The only thing I can think of is that I used seeds that were left over from last year. I always have veg and tomato seeds left over every year and I have never had a problem before using "old" seeds. Cant remember if I've ever had any left over runners before so, I'm asking, Could it be that the beans were too old just a year after buying them new?

Thank you

Splangemac.
splangemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2014   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it's just the weather?

I grew Purple Peacock last year and LOVED them. This year I grew all sorts of different pole beans (from seeds from a swap) and loads of bush beans. Everything tasted fantastic except my much-loved PP which I picked after a cold/wet spell. Very weird.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2014   #3
splangemac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your thoughts Labradors2. Think I'll try the same ones again next year and just see what happens.

Splangemac.
Old August 18, 2014   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

I would think it's more the weather than the age of the beans. I've used bean seed that's 5+ years old and it still produced beans with the same taste and texture.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2014   #5
splangemac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kath. I will keep my fingers crossed for next year.
Old August 18, 2014   #6
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I've grown for 25 years a RunnerBean which has since been named after my wife. It's called Insuk's Wang Kong. You can read all about it on GW/Beans peas and other Legumes forum. I've sent these beans all over the country and many destinations in Europe and Canada. If interested I can send you some. There will be no costs for Beans or Postage as I consider sharing as my small insignificant contribution to the gardening community. PM me, your address, if interested
Old August 21, 2014   #7
splangemac
Tomatovillian™

Hi jwr6404,

Not sure if my private message went through as my machine is playing tricks with me? If not, the message was thank you very much and I hope one day to return the favour.
Old August 21, 2014   #8
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

It's unlikely to be the seed, since they "grew well". I would suspect the weather is to blame...perhaps irregularities in the watering/rain department. I suggest you try again next year and start saving and drying your own seeds!
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2014   #9
splangemac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks dustdevil. I will most certainly try again.
Old August 28, 2014   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Maybe it's just the weather?

I grew Purple Peacock last year and LOVED them. This year I grew all sorts of different pole beans (from seeds from a swap) and loads of bush beans. Everything tasted fantastic except my much-loved PP which I picked after a cold/wet spell. Very weird.

Linda
I love beans. Right now, only cowpeas are in season. I think I missed the suggested planting date for fall beans but I'm hoping that some early maturing beans might be okay, since I'm going to try to get things planted this weekend.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote