Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2019   #3406
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Lol, you will pretty much have nematodes in Florida, period. That doesn’t stop me growing figs, however; I have 3 planted in the back mini-orchard. I did amend with compost and I keep mulch around them. Good so far!
Agree with Jane, if you're in Florida, you will have nematodes.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #3407
TwoAdriftAtSea
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply, I've heard conflicting reports on nematodes in this area with the sandier white/grayish soil being nematode heaven and the darker black soil being nematode free. The area I am wanting to plant in the ground is dark black soil and just wanting to verify that by getting the soil tested ahead of time as I cannot grow them in pots. It will be 4-5 years before we call the area our winter home and we are wanting to get a 4+ year head start on fruit trees. If all else fails we will just stick to avocado and mango for the time being.
TwoAdriftAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #3408
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Agree with PlainJane. Not everything is bothered by nematodes; I've never heard of a tree was with affected by nematodes.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #3409
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoAdriftAtSea View Post
Thanks for the reply, I've heard conflicting reports on nematodes in this area with the sandier white/grayish soil being nematode heaven and the darker black soil being nematode free. The area I am wanting to plant in the ground is dark black soil and just wanting to verify that by getting the soil tested ahead of time as I cannot grow them in pots. It will be 4-5 years before we call the area our winter home and we are wanting to get a 4+ year head start on fruit trees. If all else fails we will just stick to avocado and mango for the time being.
I would try to lay hands on some bulk compost, and go ahead and plant your trees.
I put in pluots, avocado, citrus, figs and blueberries...everybody’s happy.
Old March 7, 2019   #3410
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

All of the plants I have put out survived the "frost" we had. Now I'm putting out everything in the next week or so. Excited for the growing season of warm weather veggies.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2019   #3411
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
All of the plants I have put out survived the "frost" we had. Now I'm putting out everything in the next week or so. Excited for the growing season of warm weather veggies.
That’s great! Good luck!
Old March 10, 2019   #3412
TwoAdriftAtSea
Tomatovillian™

Just an update, after going to the local Farm Bureau office they directed me to a UF extension on hwy 98 in town..I was able to get sample bags and send them off. The avocado pair will go in the ground before I head back north.
Thanks for the replies
TwoAdriftAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #3413
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I had a couple of Fig Trees in my yard when I lived in Clermont (in Lake County). They produced very well nematodes and all. They were a big attraction for the Birds and the Bees. Good Luck in Okachobee.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019   #3414
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoAdriftAtSea View Post
I would like to hear the answer to that. Of course the dark soils has been used to grow mountains of vegetables for probably over a century. The muck soils seem to have been extremely productive. It would be interesting to know if they have fewer nematodes and for what reason. Certainly we have our share of them in the sandy soil in the Orlando area.
Old March 10, 2019   #3415
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I finally got my tomatoes transplanted today. The bush snap beans that I grew through the winter have done fairly well I continued to plant them this spring and will plant them again in very late March, which I haven't done in the past. Tasty Nugget variety of Brussel Sprouts did well for me again. I planted them last fall. I can no longer get seeds for this excellent variety and will try to continue a couple of the plants into another season to harvest seeds. I doubt this is going to work in Florida, but if anyone has had experience in harvesting seeds from Broccoli in Florida, I would love to hear about it. I'm guessing July and August are going to turn my old plants into burnt sticks. Also, a photo showing my love for gardening. Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-03-10 Brussel Sprouts Tasty Nugget Plant.jpg (358.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 2019-03-10 Grass Hat.jpg (151.7 KB, 58 views)
Old March 11, 2019   #3416
PlainJane

Too funny!!!
Brussels sprouts look great!
Old March 11, 2019   #3417
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Love the photos Larry.
Old March 13, 2019   #3418
PlainJane

Today’s cauliflower haul. Warm weather wreaked havoc with some of it but got a few nice heads.
This is a combination of Graffiti (Johnny’s) and Purple of Sicily (Territorial).

Now roasting in the oven with olive oil, new potatoes, onion and a head of garlic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91BBCCE5-069A-412A-B1C0-3B353DFBA80F.jpg (417.7 KB, 39 views)
Old March 13, 2019   #3419
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Those cauliflower heads are so pretty. You do nice work plainJane.
Old March 13, 2019   #3420
PlainJane

Why, thank you Marsha!