Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 3, 2009   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default So pretty!

I'm only growing 2 eggplant varieties this year, Listada de Gandia and Rosa Biana. They are both so pretty! Pictures don't do them justice. I chose those varieties based on a reputation for flavor and lack of bitterness, but they're so pretty, they seem almost ornamental. They're just starting good, so I haven't actually harvested any fruit yet, but I should have some big enough to harvest within a week at most. It looks like they are going to be reasonably productive if a little later than my tomatoes this year.

Last edited by Fert1; July 6, 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Edited to add photos
Fert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2009   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

They are very pretty! I love eggplant and some varieties do look to good to eat. I've had much better luck with them in 12" pots on my deck then in the ground. I'm not sure if it the warmth, the good drainage, a combo of both, but what ever it is, I'm not putting them in the ground anymore.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2009   #3
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Post below is duplicate. So I removed one. Just skip ahead. Nothing to see here. LOL!
Old July 6, 2009   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
They are very pretty! I love eggplant and some varieties do look to good to eat. I've had much better luck with them in 12" pots on my deck then in the ground. I'm not sure if it the warmth, the good drainage, a combo of both, but what ever it is, I'm not putting them in the ground anymore.
Remy

I've seen others say the same. I know my tomato plants in pots bear better than those in the ground ever did. My eggplants are in the ground, but they seem to be getting a lot of fruit ... finally. I was beginning to think they never would set fruit, but once they started, it's been pretty constant. I pulled two more today, and both varieties are forming lots of little fruits. I will probably be giving some away soon. I'm eager to try my first ones. I'm trying to decide how I want to prepare them. I may eat them tomorrow. Yummy!
Old July 7, 2009   #5
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

They look like little Easter eggs!

Christine

P.S. Yum!
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote