Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 9, 2014   #1
Stanley2
Tomatovillian™

Default My first broccoli

Here is a picture of my first broccoli.

Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #2
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

aaaaawwww! soooo cute!!

Enjoy......in a couple weeks!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #3
peppero
Tomatovillian™

LLOKS GOOD!

JON
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #4
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

That is awesome! I always wait until too late to start my brassicas...

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I usually grow Bonanza, Packman, Flash and Green Goliath or a mix of those. This year I ordered one called Coronado Crown from Harris seed and planted it along with Bonanza for my spring broccoli. The Bonanza is really early and is almost done with just a few side shoots remaining as I have already picked the main head and the first good crop of side shoots off of it. I am going to be cutting my first heads of Coronado Crown today and I must say they are very impressive. They are larger than the Bonanza but the best thing is how tight the heads are and what a small bead they have. I hope they taste as good as they look.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #6
Rachel W
Tomatovillian™

I planned my broccoli last week! Great job!
Rachel W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2014   #7
Stanley2
Tomatovillian™

Hi all I can almost taste it new pic

Stanley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year to try to grow Broccoli. have to let me know how it tastes compared to store bought
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #9
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Not only is it cute as heck, I'll bet that it's just as delicious!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2014   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've yet to have any luck with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or brussel sprouts. I'm waiting for our move to NC to try again.
I think we get too much fluctuation from hot to cold and too short of a cool season.
Looks like some nice broccoli!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I've yet to have any luck with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage or brussel sprouts. I'm waiting for our move to NC to try again.
I think we get too much fluctuation from hot to cold and too short of a cool season.
Looks like some nice broccoli!
Down here broccoli and similar plants are really affected by sudden changes in temps. Frequently in the fall it will be too warm when plants are set out and it doesn't cool down quick enough and they will head when very small resulting in small heads and side shoots. The same thing can happen in the spring if an early warm spell lasts too long the plants will go ahead and head before they are mature. It is always hit and miss for me with broccoli but I have learned more about when to plant over the years and as a result have gotten much better at producing a good crop most seasons. I think you will have better luck with them in NC once you get the hang of when to start seed and when to set them out.

Bill
Old April 13, 2014   #12
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I've never gown broccoli but I had no idea they were so temperature sensitive. Good to know! thanks Bill!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2014   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

A follow up on the new variety I am growing called Coronado Crown from Harris Seed. Wow! Not only were the main heads large with a very tight bead but the side shoot production dwarfs the other varieties both in numbers and size. This will now be my main broccoli variety as long as it is available. I will still grow Bonanza because it is so much earlier but this year it couldn't compare in production and the heads were not nearly as tight or large.

Bill
Old April 26, 2014   #14
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
A follow up on the new variety I am growing called Coronado Crown from Harris Seed. Wow! Not only were the main heads large with a very tight bead but the side shoot production dwarfs the other varieties both in numbers and size. This will now be my main broccoli variety as long as it is available. I will still grow Bonanza because it is so much earlier but this year it couldn't compare in production and the heads were not nearly as tight or large.

Bill
Thanks for the info Bill. What do you think the potential is for Coronado's Crown as a fall crop?

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2014   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Rebel I don't know because this was the first time I have grown it. I will plant it along with Bonanza this fall and find out. It definitely takes longer than Bonanza but it was worth the wait. I have had better luck usually with quick maturing broccoli in the fall like Flash or Bonanza but since Coronado Crown was so superior I'm going to set some out this fall. I can tell you by the way it is producing side shoots in the heat right now that it holds better than most varieties in the heat.

Bill