Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 1, 2011   #1
starsevol
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow leaves on my Matt's Wild Cherry

I have never grown tomatos in containers until this year, and have never grown Matt's wild cherry at all. I have 3 in pots and 2 of them are rather small and straggly (but I think it might be the way this variety grows from what I read about it). The largest one is in a sunny spot on my front steps, and is setting fruit, but has yellow leaves. As long as it is setting fruit I am happy but I want the plant to be happy too! I do water it daily, and used a good potting mix when I planted it. I also have 2 Cherokee Purples in the same mix, and they are looking really good so far this year.
Any idea what might be up with this plant?
starsevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #2
Bubbagun
Tomatovillian™

I have three large containers I am trying this year, (about 8 foot long each) on the side of the house and everything was looking good for the first month then I notice the bottom leave turning yellow, no bugs and no disease, I read a post on here about minerals in the soil and I got thinking about the potting mix I bought, I don't think there is very much of any mineral in potting mix of any kind, I could be wrong, but when I bought the stuff I got I don't remember any of the potting mixes that stated added minerals. What I bought was the cheapest, but looked good as the other mixes, I have not grown much in containers ether, only for the past few years, and none are as big as the ones I am trying this year, I added some Iron and lime a few weeks ago and it made a big difference, the leaves are dark green today and the leaves that were turning yellow are just about as green as the top leaves, I have also read on here on a few different post that a lack of Magnesium will cause leaves to yellow, I bought a plant food that has Magnesium in it and put a small amount on them a few days ago I don't what to over do it, I water mornings and late after noons if the Temps are above 100+ which they are this week, but the tomato's I have in the ground every 2 to 3 days.
Bubbagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #3
starsevol
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much! That just might solve the problem. The other tomatoes I have planted in the same soil are not showing the yellow leaves, 2 are the same tomato, Matt's wild cherry but they are much smaller than the one with the yellow leaves. The other tomatoes I have planted in that soil mix are Cherokee Purples, and they are much bigger. It is just that one plant, but it might have to do with that cultivar and size.
Thanks
starsevol is offline   Reply With Quote