Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 3, 2014   #1
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow leaves on seedlings what is it? Pics inside

My seedlings have been wilting and yellowing. I trimmed them pretty heavily today getting rid of all the bad looking leaves disinfecting the scissors each time and left what looked salvageable. Any ideas? Thanks

sm1nts2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

What soil mix are you using? Are you fertilizing? How often do you water and how do you water? Do you let the soil dry out before watering? Overwatering would be my 1st guess to the problem
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #3
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

I have been letting the soil dry out between watering which happens about once every 2 days. I am watering from above. I have been fertilizing them once a week. Soil mix is jiffy seed starting soil.
Old March 3, 2014   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

At the moment, you're not over-watering because I can see the soil mix is pulled back from the sides of the plastic.

Jiffy Mix tends to be heavy on peat moss which hold water like a sponge...watering can be tricky. Use a spray bottle set to a fine mist and water(spray) at soil level, not over the leaves.

What are you doing for a lighting and fertilizer regiment?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In my experience young plans have leaves like these sometimes.
I just pinch off the leaves.
The plant out grows it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #6
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

The jiffy mix for me is very hard to figure out. It will look wet up top but bone dry. Today I watered because the pots were light as a feather. I too suspected over watering at first but I have been weighing the pots. I also bought a moisture meter this weekend but it is broken -_- . I watered today with a mixture I made the other day which consist of 1 gallon water 1 tbsp Epsom salts 1 tbsp molasses because someone else said they might need the magnesium? I was fertilizing with a concoction I made of 1 gallon water 1 cup happy frog dry tomato fert mixed in 1/4 tsp superthrive and a little azos? I let that sit for 3 days shaking twice a day then strained. I then cut that with 3/4 water. It stunk. I am thinking the fert is the problem but I ran out the other day so I am going to buy liquid grow big by fox. Lighting I am running a 2' 6 bulb t5 fixture running 16hrs a day.

Last edited by sm1nts2escape; March 3, 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old March 3, 2014   #7
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

Also air temp is 83 soil about 73
Old March 3, 2014   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I use Jiffy mix for starting seeds but it doesn't have much if any nutrients so once plants get a couple sets of true leaves I pot up into a mix of a bit of composted manure and potting mix that has nutrients. Not saying you need to do that--but just be aware of the lack of nutrients in the Jiffy seed starting mix. I also agree with Worth, I remember when I started doing tomatoes and freaked out when they had purple undersides of leaves--I start reading and thinking lack of phosphorous. I now know it's just cool temperatures or something that happens early on and the plants end up great.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; March 3, 2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old March 3, 2014   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1nts2escape View Post
Also air temp is 83 soil about 73
Depending on when your planting out date is--you probably don't need it quite so warm...just my $0.02.
Old March 3, 2014   #10
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Depending on when your planting out date is--you probably don't need it quite so warm...just my $0.02.
I should be setting them out mid May. I didn't think these things would grow so fast... I already ordered a bigger tent and pots. I will be potting up next week and using fox soil so hopefully that will correct most of my problems (feeding/watering). I was worried this was fusarium wilt but this is my first year growing from seed so I have no idea and came here to see what everyone else says.
Old March 3, 2014   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1nts2escape View Post
I should be setting them out mid May. I didn't think these things would grow so fast... I already ordered a bigger tent and pots. I will be potting up next week and using fox soil so hopefully that will correct most of my problems (feeding/watering). I was worried this was fusarium wilt but this is my first year growing from seed so I have no idea and came here to see what everyone else says.

Seeing where you live and the way the weather is you may not be able to plant till July.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #12
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Seeing where you live and the way the weather is you may not be able to plant till July.

Worth

Ugh...
Old March 3, 2014   #13
sm1nts2escape
Tomatovillian™

It just snowed about 4 inches today :/ If I have to which there is a good possibility, might have to do some extreme pruning..
Old March 3, 2014   #14
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

It looks like lighting is good because they're not spindly or pale.

The fertilizer concoction may have been a bit too much.

Try measuring the ph of the soil you're using and the ph of the new potting up soil they'll be going into.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #15
MissS
Tomatovillian™

It looks to me as if it might be an iron deficiency. What kind of water are you using? You should be using unsoftened water. If you are potting up into the new mix soon, it should help to resolve this issue.
Patti