Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 28, 2013   #1
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for Bush Bean recommendations...

Hello Tomatovillians,

I'm looking for some Bush Bean recommendations to try out. The only Bush Bean i've grown over the years which I love is the Royalty Purple Pod Bush Beans. Other than their taste/ornamental color, I particularly enjoy how fast they mature to a snap bean (especially in comparison to most Pole Beans which I grow several of already).

Any Bush Beans that I should try out then that might be some of your favorites?

Thanks.
Old August 28, 2013   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Alfredo. I like Fin de Bagnol, a French filet type, because they produce for a long time. I pick them very small and cook them whole. I also like Romano 14 because they are so tender and they have no strings. But you can't overcook them or they'll get mushy, just a few minutes is perfect. Another good one is Fowler but it's hard to find seed for that one. Southern Exposure has it once in a while. I don't know of anyone else who sells it.
Old August 28, 2013   #3
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the recommendations shelleybean (Michele) .

Fin De Bagnol
Romano 14
Fowler

I've ordered from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange before, I'll be on the lookout for that one.
Old August 28, 2013   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've trialed lots over the years and we like Provider best overall for our use which is to seed asap in the spring and bridge the gap until the pole beans begin producing. It's early, cold-tolerant, disease-resistant, shortish, upright and tastes great.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #5
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks kath!

Provider added to my list to try out.

Fin De Bagnol
Romano 14
Fowler
Provider
Old August 28, 2013   #6
halleone
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't be without Jade, ever - the taste is really nice, and when you think they are through, pick off all the beans, give them a bit of fertilizer and a good drink, and they start all over again. Mine are starting their third run now. And I only grow a short 4' row of them.

Romano Gold is the second one I don't do without. I can get a second picking by doing the above with them, I'm trying now for a third run, but don't know if they will do it or not. It is the only yellow bean my husband will eat; it has a good, strong, beany taste.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #7
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Halleone .

Adding Jade and Romano Gold to my list of Bush Bean varieties to try out:

Fin De Bagnol
Romano 14
Fowler
Provider
Jade
Romano Gold
Old August 28, 2013   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
I wouldn't be without Jade, ever - the taste is really nice, and when you think they are through, pick off all the beans, give them a bit of fertilizer and a good drink, and they start all over again. Mine are starting their third run now. And I only grow a short 4' row of them.
Jade sounds EXCELLENT. I just looked them up and they have some disease resistance to boot!

I've been growing beans from saved seed, possibly Lake (chestnut brown when dried), which are excellent, but they look as if they have some disease, possibly mosaic, so I'm keen to try something else next year.

Do you save your own seed?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #9
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had really good luck with Fin De Bagnol one year; but they do need to be picked very small for the best flavor. They were productive also and made for a fairly long time; but once I tried Maxibel bush beans I never looked back. They have great flavor and they are super productive for a French style filet bean. They are also larger than most filet beans so picking is easier and I don't have to plant as many to have enough for our family to eat.

You might want to try planting several rows of different varieties and see which ones work better in your garden. That is what I did and now I only plant filet beans because I like the flavor so much. I still try a new filet bean nearly every year to compare with the Maxibel but so far I haven't found one that beats it in flavor and production.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If you like wax beans I recommend pencil pod black wax and Dragon's Lingerie.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #11
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Do you save your own seed?

Linda
Yes, I do save my own seed. I got both Jade and Romano Gold from Territorial Seed several years ago. I think Jade can be found in several places.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by halleone View Post
Yes, I do save my own seed. I got both Jade and Romano Gold from Territorial Seed several years ago. I think Jade can be found in several places.
Great! Territorial Seed has Jade and Maxibel. I'm keen to try both!

I have nothing against the yellows, I just think the greens might be more nutritious.

Do bush beans cross with each other?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #13
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

No more than pole beans and it's a very low number. 1 in 150 comes to mind. Last year I grew pencil pod black wax and dragons lingerie right next to each other and I have just 2 seeds out of 2000 that look like they may have crossed.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2013   #14
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

It is strange that just because I have sworn never to grow a hybrid tomato, the only bush bean we grow is Blue Lake bush bean. In the past 40 years I have tried dozens of beans. Even grew out some SSE pole beans a few years ago. I keep going back to Blue Lake. Is this sacrilege?
Old August 28, 2013   #15
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks b54red (Bill) .

Adding Maxibel to my list of Bush Bean Varieties to try out:

Fin De Bagnol
Romano 14
Fowler
Provider
Jade
Romano Gold
Maxibel

Thanks Doug9345, i've never tried wax beans, but if I see these i'll try them out for sure.
Pencil Pod Black Wax
Dragon's Lingerie

Halleone you mentioned fertilizing the bush beans to get an extra harvest, something I'm not used to doing to my beans as i usually just stagger my seed sowing to always have some to pick. What ratio of NPK are you giving them then?