Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2017   #556
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Denver's really been hit by extreme weather for May. Ricky's quite prepared for his garden with backup plants. I'm worried for Marcus, too. I'm not one for pushing the plant out date to earlier and earlier. Too much work! It'll all work out.
Thanks for your concern, you and Ricky, I took the time to wrap my cages with plastic and taped shopping bags with insulation in them to seal the top of the plastic. Glad I did the temp this morning was 29. It appears all 600 have survived. This recent weather started out with marble sized hail, switched to hard rain, and then several inches of snow, a total of 5.75 in. of moisture. And Ricky that was one of my favorite episodes.
Good luck with the weather everyone.

Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #557
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Arctic stronghold of world’s seeds flooded after permafrost melts.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rmafrost-melts

more....a very nice pictorial

The doomsday vault that's supposed to store every known crop on the planet is in danger.

http://www.businessinsider.com/svalb...-to-a-region-4
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #558
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode where the bookworm who dislikes being around people was the only person left after a nuclear event because he was in an underground book vault. In his jumping glee he knocks off glasses and steps on them.

Not sure why that popped in my head, but I'm glad T'ville is back up and running.
I remember it as one of my favorite episodes mostly because I am a book worm and always have been.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #559
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Anyone remember the Twilight Zone episode where the bookworm who dislikes being around people was the only person left after a nuclear event because he was in an underground book vault. In his jumping glee he knocks off glasses and steps on them.
Burgess Meredith. He disliked having others around because they kept interfering with his reading. One of the more memorable ones. (IMDb has it ranked #2 all time.)

Anyone remember the one with Art Carney as drunk Santa Claus? Perhaps my favorite TV Christmas story of all. There was snow on the ground for that one too, just like in the story of your back yard.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #560
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
Denver's really been hit by extreme weather for May. Ricky's quite prepared for his garden with backup plants. I'm worried for Marcus, too. I'm not one for pushing the plant out date to earlier and earlier. Too much work! It'll all work out.
Denver and extreme weather? Absolutely.

I lived initially in an apt that was two blocks from the Med Center at Colorado and 8th and more than once it was a lovely walk,short sleeves,but then had to walk back in bad snow squalls or even worse and the latter often meant ice storms.

When I finally bought my own home at 1629 Locust,I had to drive to work, and no different, as in surprise,surprise,surprise.

Carolyn
Old May 20, 2017   #561
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What did you guys expect from that elevation, Florida weather.

Worth
Old May 20, 2017   #562
bower
Tomatovillian™

My greenhouse temperature didn't get up to 60 today and had already dropped to 50 by suppertime, very drafty. Winds howling and.. then it snowed. Cold enough for flakes to stay on the ground and on the glass of the greenhouse. This was supposed to be the best of our three day weekend... so I caved and brought the plants back indoors. It's a jungle in here!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #563
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ricky, our local TV station still runs the Twilight Zone late at night, like they used to when I was in my teens .... I guess they bought the rights and never stopped running em...
Old May 20, 2017   #564
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

You cannot win it all !
We have near perfect tomato weather by the temperatures and humidity. ( Hi 90F +/- 3 and RH ~ 65%). with sun and some clouds and breeze.
BUT we are experiencing a mild drought. We have not had rain for almost 3 weeks. The last time we had 7" and the creek over flow its banks and we got mild flooding. Now the creek is getting bone DRY.
The draw back is that we have to shell out some money and pay the town for water.
Yeah, also have to spend ONE hour to do the watering ritual.
We need to organize a rain dance.

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; May 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #565
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hopefully I will be getting some rain tomorrow as that is what the weather man says. Yeah sure, I have sprayed for rain three times and all I had the last time was a tiny bit of drizzle. Not even enough to dump the water collectors to keep mosquito out, because it dried on it's own pretty much as it landed.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #566
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I remember it as one of my favorite episodes mostly because I am a book worm and always have been.
Worth
Same, and tbh I really enjoy being alone. When I was younger I lived alone and spent 2 years just working and staying home. I think I read more in that 2 years than I have the rest of my life combined. I never understood why people get lonely. So much you can do and learn about.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #567
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

keep up the work bower! it's a toughy but we all hope you do well for the effort!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2017   #568
bower
Tomatovillian™

thanks, tryno12!
I'm actually very happy that my plans to plant out last week didn't work out. Especially at the farm, which is not close by to monitor the temperature and cover the plants if needed. It is more work to cover the plants, bring buckets of water etc to try and get them through a cold spell than it is to just bring them indoors. Reading 45 F out there this morning, which is okay if the temperature is going up during the day.... I don't expect it will go above 50, and then the next night will be even colder...

Here's a pic of the garden this morning. I was going to clean up all the winter mess, straw, weeds etc yesterday but it was just too cold. Now we're back to 'winter tidyness'. The Victoria Day weekend is legendary for bad weather here. It's the first weekend that parks and campgrounds are open, and all the diehard campers head for the woods. No worries here, indoors and warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Victoria-weekend.JPG (211.0 KB, 52 views)
Old May 21, 2017   #569
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cooled off again last night and Smokey the race runner is running races up and down the driveway and across the yard then up and down trees.

Worth
Old May 22, 2017   #570
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

wow bower that is some cold/snowy looking area! that looks like the dead of winter here. what type of plants can you grow - short DTM's ? hope it warms up but scares me just seeing your situ!!
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote