Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 22, 2018   #1
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Default America Wonder pea

Winter is the time for me to reading and watch gardening videos and gathering impressions from last year combined with planing next season for my small garden. I was reading about pea and its roots with Nitrogen "fixing" ability. Almost instantly, idea was born to plant pea in location where I want to plant tomatoes in May.

But there is something I don't understand and would appreciate opinions from more experienced gardeners.

Weather here is different than last year, night temperatures rarely above zero these days, daily 2-10 degree Celsius. And forecast say it will continue that way, so probably no hard frosts until spring, it is not normal but I can't complain.

Like I wrote, my idea is to plant pea, some early variety like America Wonder and to harvest it until start of May. Then, to leave roots in ground while planting tomatoes on that location.

American Wonder pea info on company site where I intend to buy it say: "Very early variety, technological maturity reach for little less than 60 days". Does that mean days to harvest is 60 days? Later it say on same item something like "med-variety, need 70 days from sprouting to full technological maturity". Really confusing.

My questions are:

1. After planting in ground (seed) what is average number of days until harvest?
  2. How to use pea plants residues to benefit later crops (tomato)? Just to leave them on the ground or to dig them in soil?
Looking forward for answers. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by javafxnoob; January 22, 2018 at 08:05 AM. Reason: grammar corections
javafxnoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dtm , pea