Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old April 12, 2014   #1
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default HEADS UP-Plant Swap 2014 is scheduled

Hi to all,
Our plant Swap this year will be Saturday, October 11, 2014. As usual we will have it at my house. Bring a dish, get dozens of free tomato and other plants, and come have fun!

Marsha
Old April 12, 2014   #2
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

Well that's a bummer , to darn far for me to drive
Old April 12, 2014   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags57078 View Post
Well that's a bummer , to darn far for me to drive
Well, it's not until October, you could always move.

Marsha
Old April 16, 2014   #4
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I second what Marsha suggested, with October being six months out, that is plenty of time to find you a winter home for you to become a snow bird.....LOL

I won't know till time gets closer if I will be able to come. I so want to, but will have to see.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 12, 2014   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default The details

The plant swap will be from 1-6 pm, but it is come and go as you please. There are several demos planned: I will be demonstrating loading all the layers and ingredients of an Earthbox, and also seed starting for the newbies that are coming. We have a Tomatovillian from Plant City who is going to demo making tomato basil soap( yes soap, not a typo!) , she also has a world of knowledge of herbs and their medicinal uses as well as companion planting techniques, and a recipe for homemade fish emulsion. Another member here is coming from Oak Hill Florida, who will be doing a little presentation on grafting. Imagine 3 varieties of tomatoes on 1 plant! I want one

We are going to be having many Master Gardeners there, as I will be graduating from the Master Gardener program this next Wednesday, and the entire master gardener network will be invited.
There will be over 100 varieties of tomatoes, several types of hot and sweet peppers, several basils, lettuces, and other veggies, bromeliads, red decorative pineapples, and other ornamentals. Bring a dish, lets eat, learn, and get free plants!

Marsha
Old June 15, 2014   #6
Courtgreenhous
Tomatovillian™

After hearing all of that Marsha now I really want to come! All of the presentations sound like something I want to learn from and it is great you are hosting this. Congratulations on graduating from the Master gardener program this next Wed.
-Ian
Old June 15, 2014   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtgreenhous View Post
After hearing all of that Marsha now I really want to come! All of the presentations sound like something I want to learn from and it is great you are hosting this. Congratulations on graduating from the Master gardener program this next Wed.
-Ian
Ian, we would love to have you join us.
In previous years some of the swap attendees have made a weekend of it with an overnight stay.
The greater Ft.Lauderdale area has lots to do, many great restaurants, and famous Las Olas which has sidewalk cafe's, boutiques, art galleries, trees shading over the entire street, charming old fashioned streetlights, and lots of international people watching. Then just drive a mile further east and there's the Atlantic. We like to go on a Friday evening, grab a frozen margarita, and feel the ocean breezes.
We saw Nick Nolte on Las Olas last year.
Then 1 hour or so further south is the Redland Fruit and Spice Park, with hundreds of types of Mangoes, Mamey, Breadfruit, jackfruit that grow to 100lbs,etc.

Marsha
Old June 19, 2014   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

One of the newly graduated Master Gardeners is going to do a demo on air layering, and he is bringing fruit trees to the swap. This is getting so good.

Marsha
Old July 7, 2014   #9
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default plant swap

Hi friends,
Can't wait for our 3rd meet!!!!! Yes, the TOMATO/BASIL SOAP BARS are made and aging for all who attend!!!!
I will make this soap for you to see at the plant swap and you will take a trial bar home with you.
Also have the FISH EMULSION RECIPE to hand out and more...
I'm bring a few Moringa trees, tomato's, lemon grass, and who knows what to exchange.

Can't wait to visit with all my gardening friends when we meet!!!!
Old August 24, 2014   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Peppers and 98 varieties tomatoes

Seed was sown for 98 varieties of tomatoes on Wed.and 18 varieties of hot and sweet peppers about 5 weeks ago. Germination is more than 90% for most. There will be basils, lettuces, and dill too.
And quite a few Broward County Master Gardeners will be attending. I think it will be fun. Any South or Central Floridians from here planning to attend?
Old August 24, 2014   #11
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

Dang! I'm going to be in Kentucky October 11th for a wedding so I won't be able to come. I hope everyone has a great time. Would love to see pictures!
Old August 24, 2014   #12
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Darn, that makes me wish I did not live in north Florida, much too far to drive. Congratulations on becoming a Master Gardener. I knew you ere applying and wondered if you had gotten in the program.
Old August 24, 2014   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Kay, yes I graduated, now Im at the helpdesk as a mentor to 3! I think that's called see one, do one, teach one.
Sorry you can't make it to the swap. We usually have a nice crowd, but we will miss you.
Old September 9, 2014   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Transplanting this entire week. What a job!
Old September 22, 2014   #15
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default TRANSPLANTING

HAPPY YOU TO TAKE THE TIME TO TRANSPLANT ALL OF THOSE PLANTS!!
SOAP IS CURED AND READY TO HAND OUT,MORINGA TREES ARE BEAUTIFUL,LEMON GRASS IS WELL STARTED.SEE EVERYONE THERE IN JUST A FEW WEEKS!