Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old January 8, 2015   #1
MikeBiondo

Default Hello Fellow Floridians

We are relatively new Florida residents...well, snowbirds anyway. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks at any upcoming Florida TAG gatherings and/or Plant Swaps.

I was able to get the garden going here in Florida about the beginning of November. The plan was to start some tomato seeds in Missouri, for transplanting in Florida.

Unfortunately I discovered that my entire seed collection was ruined through the incredibly STUPID move on my part of my seeds winding up in extremely moist environment. This past summer I was starting some grape cuttings, and had the ends of the cuttings wrapped in wet paper towels, getting them ready for the move to Florida. Well stupid me, just ups and throws the wet cuttings into the sealed plastic tub with all seeds. Needless to say, all those seeds just loved the hot, moist environment inside that tub, and the mold grew rampant. When God was handing out Brains, I thought he said Trains, and I said "No thanks, we'll just drive on down to Florida"

I am in the SE Tampa Bay area (Sun City Center). If anyone has any heirloom tomato seeds they could share, that does well in this area, please shoot me a PM, and I will get a SASE off to you right away.

I recently participated in a pepper seed swap, and I received way more than I can use. I would more than happy to send some peppers seeds along as a small thank you. I have quite a few different varieties.

Thanks all...

Mike-

Old January 9, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mike, I run the Florida TAG, I live in Plantation. We do a plant swap every October, which is our time to plant here in zone 10, and since I live here, thats when my plants are ready. Usually we have around 100 different varieties ready to go, free, we just ask that you bring a dish, because it's a potluck.
As far as seeds, stay tuned, I will be putting up a seed for SASE offer in a week or so, will be many many varieties, some, if not most are unusual, but did very well in my area, including taste!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBiondo View Post
We are relatively new Florida residents...well, snowbirds anyway. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks at any upcoming Florida TAG gatherings and/or Plant Swaps.

I was able to get the garden going here in Florida about the beginning of November. The plan was to start some tomato seeds in Missouri, for transplanting in Florida.

Unfortunately I discovered that my entire seed collection was ruined through the incredibly STUPID move on my part of my seeds winding up in extremely moist environment. This past summer I was starting some grape cuttings, and had the ends of the cuttings wrapped in wet paper towels, getting them ready for the move to Florida. Well stupid me, just ups and throws the wet cuttings into the sealed plastic tub with all seeds. Needless to say, all those seeds just loved the hot, moist environment inside that tub, and the mold grew rampant. When God was handing out Brains, I thought he said Trains, and I said "No thanks, we'll just drive on down to Florida"

I am in the SE Tampa Bay area (Sun City Center). If anyone has any heirloom tomato seeds they could share, that does well in this area, please shoot me a PM, and I will get a SASE off to you right away.

I recently participated in a pepper seed swap, and I received way more than I can use. I would more than happy to send some peppers seeds along as a small thank you. I have quite a few different varieties.

Thanks all...

Mike-
Old January 9, 2015   #3
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Mike. So sorry. Of course, one of the most enduring lessons are the ones from our own mistakes. Unfortunately, my seed collection is up in Michigan and won't be accessible until March. When would you need them by?

Marsha, that's good news about your upcoming seed offer. Last year I got seeds for Cherokee Lime Stripes from you. It is my new favorite GRW, though I guess it is really bicolor. I also liked the Amethyst Cream, but I had such bad cracking with it. Very prolific though.
Old January 9, 2015   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to a great place Mike. There is such a variety of dumb things we have all done. Thanks for sharing yours.

jon
Old January 9, 2015   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear of your troubles; send me a PM with your address and I can get you started until Marsha has her SASE offer up. I have more generic varieties than she will post that did well for me. No need for a SASE. Let me know if you are interested in Paste varieites; I bought seeds from GrowItalian (Seeds from Italy).

How long are you here for? Will you have enough time from germination to ripe fruit?
Old January 9, 2015   #6
MikeBiondo

Good Morning all...

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@Marsha...thanks for your kind offer, and thanks for hosting the get-together. I'll be looking forward to it! The picture I saw from a past gathering of the chock-full tray of tomato seedlings was a thing of beauty!

@nancy...thanks for the offer of seeds, but it sounds like way too much of an inconvenience for you. Your offer is much appreciated though.

@Jon...Yeah, that was pretty dumb! I wonder about myself sometimes I had some cotton seeds in there that actually sprouted to little puffs of cotton!

@Barb...Thank you, that would be great! That's a great question about available time - I was certainly planning on being well ahead of the game by this time. I should be here till about mid-May, but plan additional, shorter trips down over the summer. This planting is not with the harvest in mind, this is just an excuse to play in the dirt!!!

Barb's question got me thinking though...I recently built a Cloner to play around with cloning tomato and pepper plants. I've read a lot good things on getting a jump-start on plantings using cloned plants.

Would anyone in the surrounding Tampa area happen to some tomato plants I could get some cuttings from? I'd be happy to run by and pick them up. Might be a fun experiment.

Once again, thank you all for your welcome and generosity. While I could have just run to HomeDepot and picked up a couple packs of seeds, my hope was, this way, I'd get to know y'all a bit better...thanks again!

Mike