Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2017   #526
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

yeah, bower, and i thought i had it bad with a little sunburn and 80 degrees and sun for the next week - until i read of your unfortunate SNOW STILL on the GROUND issue
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #527
bower
Tomatovillian™

hey tryno12,
yeah our climate is a little "special" for tomatoes.
But our plantout date - for planting into unheated greenhouse or tunnel - is usually pretty similar to many of you for planting outdoors. And the tunnel/greenhouse environment can have some of the same problems as the south! With extreme high temperatures, higher humidity, etc. I have learned a ton of useful things here at T'ville by reading about problems and issues in different climates.
The greenhouse high temp on the day it snowed was only 64 F. And the night went down to 45 F, even though I hung some row cover around the plants to protect from the drafts. Then the next morning it was foggy when I went to work, but suddenly cleared around 11 am... I raced back at noon and it was already up to 90 F! Watered, Opened windows, no wind... still hanging at 85 F until dark. But the row cover acted as a bit of a shade cloth while i was gone and so although dry the plants were not sunburnt or harmed by the big temperature swing.

Those are the kind of tricks that can help to avoid sunburn - but in the meantime, the great thing is tomatoes are so tough and so fast growing. Fingers crossed for you, I feel pretty certain though that they will come right back and outgrow the damage.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #528
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Yo bower, sounds as if you are going thru exactly what i used to covering up for a frost(frame of mind at least for me - i now wait. You definitely have a tougher time than i ever did!! A lot of scurrying around! you all were right on the sunburn - they are outgrowing it. Good luck getting them in the ground with a great survival rate!
Old May 15, 2017   #529
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sun shining today and 14 C... like a normal great may day!
I decided to look through my pics of last year to compare where the plants are now by this date. So here are pics of my lovage patch, barely through the ground today on 15 may, compared to last year - which was not even a great or early spring either!
In other words... we are so far behind, it's a wow. BTW the lovage shoots are always red like that, will soon turn green as usual, and before you know it, six feet tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg May15-2017-lovage.JPG (197.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg may15-2016-lovage.JPG (276.3 KB, 85 views)
Old May 15, 2017   #530
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that is quite a comparison.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #531
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

A little mid-May garden wrecker coming to keep us on our toes. Plenty of back-up seedlings coming down the pipe for replacement, it still hurts to lose any of them.
Attached Images
File Type: png 16may2017.png (20.9 KB, 78 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #532
bower
Tomatovillian™

Eek Ricky... that's a lot of snow!! Are your tomatoes out already?
Old May 16, 2017   #533
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

no bower, nothing out yet, I'd been hardening stuff off only. I've potted a few things into 1gal pots and gave some seedlings away for others to hopefully maintain and plant next week. I've got dozens more seedlings in various stages coming up, not a huge disappointment, but I'd hoped to get an early jump this year. Nope.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #534
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ricky, did you ever use Liquid Fence for those #$%$#% Rabbits? I hear it less potent and more expensive than last year?? I am going to order more anyway - don't have a fence so it's the best i got for protection and people in my subdivision think they are cute - hell, there are 3 i saw at once in the neighbors yd behind me!! #@$%$### things!!
They really like our flowers also - that's why there are so many rabbits and few flowers around here - people don't care that rodents live in and around there decks, sheds, and houses
Pete
Old May 16, 2017   #535
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Ricky, just cover them up. Even with snow and 34 degree weather, if they don't freeze, then they will live.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #536
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Another 90F plus day here ( 95F). but ver low humidity.
Tomorrow will be the same.
My water bill is going up.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2017   #537
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Another 90F plus day here ( 95F). but ver low humidity.
Tomorrow will be the same.
My water bill is going up.
90's here, too. Put half the tomatoes in last week. Time to put the rest of the tomatoes and the peppers in the ground. Got some of the Lima beans in today. Hurray!
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #538
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Starting later this evening we have a chance of severe weather moving across the region. As long as we don't get any tornadoes it's fine. 4 days from today (May 22nd) marks the 6th anniversary of the EF5 that killed 161 people here in Joplin. Something I will never forget. 1,000's injured and 1,000's more emotionally scarred. I also won't forget the many 1,000's of people who put their lives on hold from all across the country and came here to help with many staying for months.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #539
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Record heat here in NYC. Hit 93 yesterday and again predicted today. Went from the heat on to AC
in 12hrs....the transition was the door open/with screen, one hour, like the dessert wind.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #540
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Weather is turning bad in Oklahoma and Texas with warning for tornado active in Oklahoma along route 34. I'm not sure what town but heads up, it's going to be a busy couple of days. Warnings all throughout Oklahoma and Texas.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote