Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 17, 2018   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

Mostly, here in Texas, getting things to dry enough is not too hard to do, LOL. One year, I used a parked PU and just put in sheet pans with peppers and tomato slices, shook them around 1 time a day and didn't take long at all to get tomatoes to dry leathery and completely dry peppers.
Old September 17, 2018   #17
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I used tomato slices for the first time recently too, via a suggestion from work. Adding an orange variety to the red really pearked up the pizza. Another tip I learned was to use sliced provolone instead of the usual shredded cheese mixes. Fresh garlic and basil really helps the flavor in season. Delish.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Fresh shredded cheeses will taste better than pre shredded ones and melt better, too. Provolone is good melted on pizzas and sandwiches.
Old September 17, 2018   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pre shredded cheese has some sort of dust on it to keep it separated and you pay more for it too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018   #20
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I cut tomatoes in chunks or slices and dehydrate for 6 to 12 hrs, they end up being soft but dry. After cutting them i mix it with some dried herbs and let it sit for a bit. Then drain via sieve. Then dehydrate. It sound cumbersome but really is not. I do freeze them after dehydrating and they do just fine for pizza toppings. I have that inexpensive round dehydrator. 24 hrs is too crisp for me. But it could serve as a dry sprinkle.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2018   #21
creeker
Tomatovillian™

We use whole wheat tortillas for the dough, slather with Ragu or similar sauce. then shredded cheese and plenty of onions, peppers and olives then sliced tomatoes, a little more cheese for binder and cover with sliced pepperoni. Makes a pile about 3/4 inch thick. Bake for 20 minutes in an Oster oven. That's Saturday night supper. YUM!!!
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2018   #22
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I tried using just sliced tomatoes on pizza but to get a good tomato flavor you have to use a lot and then you get a very wet pizza. Instead I use a good homemade thick sauce that is fairly dry and then add some fresh tomatoes on the very top where they will dry out more and get a little char on them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #23
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Linda, try oven roasting with garlic, olive oil, herbs, on a low oven temp like 250 F for several hours then freezing them. The flavor is insane and intense and is delicious with pasta as well.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tomato paste thinned a wee bit is what I like to use, not near as runny.
Everyone has their choice, this is mine.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #25
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I normally use a passata, which is thicker and sauté garlic and use that. But if Linda is looking for ideas for her tomatoes to use on pizza, then I like the idea of oven roasting and freezing if she has to freeze them.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #26
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Many thanks for all the ideas folks. I love the idea of oven roasting and freezing .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2018   #27
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oven roasting and freezing is what I do for sauce - better tasting than stovetop and much less tedious. I toss the tomato pieces in olive oil/garlic/basil/saltpepper or alternate herbs but I like basil best with tomatoes. Then roast at 400 F for about half an hour. Turn off the oven and let them sit in the oven overnight, so drying out the excess juices.

I found that freezing the roasted tomato medley as is, the pieces of skins became extra tough and obnoxious in the freezing process. So for pizza or pasta sauce I run them through the blender to get rid of the spears of skins before freezing. For bruschetta or chunky sauce, you can manually remove the skins pretty easily after the roasting when they are still warm. This is so worth it if you have different colors and flavors in the mix. Just roast the pieces cut side down to make skin removal easy, and afterwards freeze.

Those skins can be easily crisped and powdered in the dehydrator, if you don't want to waste them, and have yourself a little tomato spice. I haven't done it, too lazy/busy, but read about that.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote