Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old May 8, 2007   #1
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Recipes of Foods shared at CHOPTAG

Jezebel Sauce and Other Sauces/Gravy

This sauce is a great addition to any meal. You can use it with about any meats. You can serve chunks of meat appetizers and use as a dip for vegetables or spread over a block of Cream Cheese to be eaten with crackers. The Jams/Jellies may be a choice you make depending upon the type meats you have (Ham/Pineapple/Apple, Pork/Apple/Appricot, Turkey/Cranberry/Apple) whatever combinations you desire. Those with great desire for the "hot" stuff may add their favorite peppers.

Jezebel Sauce

18 ounces pineapple preserves ( or your choice)
18 ounces apple jelly (your choice)
1 1/2 ounces dry mustard
5 ounces horseradish
1 tablespoon cracked pepper
Combine all ingredients, blend well. Pour in jelly jars and refrigerate. Keeps indefinitely.

For the CHOPTAG Plant Exchange I made the sauce to go with the Pulled Pork. I used Apple jelly and Apricot Jelly and added the additional ingredients Instead of the pure Horseradish I used a Horseradish Sauce. After everything was mixed I added some dried Cranberries and white Rasins to the mixture.

Think of other dried fruits you could use in combination --- Candied Ginger, Candied Pineapple, Dried Cranberries, and other dried fruits of your choice.

From my Notes:
Jezebel Sauce

1 (10-oz.) jar apple jelly
1 (10-oz.) jar pineapple jam
1 (5-oz.) jar prepared horseradish
1/4 c. dry English blend mustard
1 tsp. dried crushed red pepper

To prepare sauce: Process apple jelly, pineapple jam, horseradish, dry mustard and pepper in a food processor until smoothly blended. Store the blended sauce in a covered glass container under refrigeration for up to 3 weeks. Sauce is best if prepared the day before serving to allow flavor to fully develop. Yields approximately 2½ cups.

To serve: Traditionally, Jezebel Sauce has been served as an appetizer in southern Louisiana. To do so, simply bring prepared sauce to room temperature, pour over softened cream cheese and spread on crackers or Cayenne Toast. However, the complex blend of this sweet-yet-peppery-tasting sauce is a delicious garnish for pork, chicken and boiled shrimp. It also makes a superb dip for chicken nuggets. To use as a glaze for grilled pork or chicken, brush on meat during the last three minutes of cooking. Excellent!

You might want to consider a combination of other fruit or berries in a sauce such as the following --- Fruits and Berries

Raspberries Red/Black
Strawberries
Ligonberries
Blackberries
Boysenberry
Cranberry
Red Currant
Black Currant
White Currant
Goose Berry
Saskatoon Berry
Apples
Cherries
Kiwi
Citrus
Peaches and Nectarines
Apricots
Service Berries
Pears

Cranberry Orange Chutney

1/4 c. coarsely chopped orange peel
1 (12-oz.) pkg. fresh cranberries
1 c. granulated sugar
2 T. orange liqueur or 1 T. orange extract
1 c. chopped pecans

Finely grind chopped orange peel in a food processor. Add half of the cranberries and process slightly. Add remaining cranberries and process until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large mixing bowl; stir in sugar, orange extract and chopped pecans. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours, allowing time for sugar to fully dissolve and flavors to blend. Yields 12 to 16 servings.

Recipe Variation: For a jellied consistency, puree cranberries and orange peel in food processor; add sugar, extract, pecans and 2 packages of plain gelatin dissolved in 1/4 cup cool water; process to blend. Chill until thickened.

Lemon Garlic Grilling Sauce

½ c. (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
¼ c. lemon juice
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
½ tsp. Tabasco pepper sauce
¼ tsp. ground black pepper

Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, Tabasco sauce and black pepper; mix well. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Brush sauce on fish, seafood, poultry or vegetables during grilling or broiling. Heat any remaining sauce and serve warm at the table with grilled foods. Yields approximately ¾ cup.

Peanut Sauce

½ c. peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
½ c. water
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. soy sauce
1 tsp. granulated sugar
Sprinkle ground Cayenne pepper
In a microwave safe bowl, whip together peanut butter, water, garlic powder, lemon juice, soy sauce, sugar and Cayenne pepper (to taste). When well blended, microwave for 30 seconds. Pour over chicken, noodles, or other favorite dishes.

Toasted Pecan Caramel Sauce

1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. butter or margarine
1 c. light corn syrup
1 lg. egg, lightly beaten
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1 c. pecan halves, toasted

Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup, egg and vanilla in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil (6 to 8 minutes); remove from heat. Just prior to serving, stir in pecans. Serve warm or cool over ice cream, cake or waffles. Yields 2 cups.

Tomato Gravy

½ lb. bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 sm. onion, chopped
3 T. all-purpose flour
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 (14½ oz.) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
¾ -1 c. water
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels; discard all but 3 tablespoons of bacon drippings from skillet. Cook onion in bacon drippings over medium heat until tender. Reduce heat and stir in flour; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden brown. Gradually add canned tomatoes; stir well as gravy thickens. Add water, a little at a time, and cook until gravy is desired thickness (additional water may be added if gravy is too thick). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in bacon and remove from heat. Serve warm. Gravy may be served as a breakfast dish spooned over hot biscuits. May also be served over meatloaf, fried pork chops or cooked white rice. To create a spicy version of this recipe, replace diced canned tomatoes with one 10-ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chilies.

Woozy Sauce

½ c. honey
¼ c. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. minced dried onion
1 T. bourbon
2 tsp. Louisiana hot sauce
In a small bowl, whisk together honey, Worcestershire sauce, onion, bourbon and hot sauce. Transfer mixture to a closed container and refrigerate overnight to allow flavor to develop before serving. Sauce may be stored under refrigeration for up to 2 weeks. Serve at room temperature as a dipping sauce for grilled beef or pork. Yields approximately ¾ cup.

Last edited by VGary; May 10, 2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old May 8, 2007   #2
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Foods shared at CHOPTAG

Apple/Pecan Crunch.

Pecans as many as you like
The Granny Smith Apples or your choice of firm apples
One can of Fried apples or a prepared can of Apple Pie Filling.

Toast Pecans and hold until ready to serve then mix with the mixture.
Puree the Apple Pie Filling and add a bit of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg whatever you like
(if the filling already has these spices disregard.)
Dice/chop apples by hand.If you have apple juice mix some in to keep apples from turning.
Mix all these together in a large bowl. Remember do not add the Pecans until ready to serve or else they witll loose their crispness. When ready to serve mix all the ingredients.
For something special you may add Carmel Topping (kind used for ice-cream topping) but do not mix through, just use your spoon and swirl thru the mixture a few times! (I did not have the Caramel and I left it out.

Roasted Tomato Spread
One quart of good tomato sauce.
One large can of Diced Tomatoes
One full head of Garlic or more if you like.
Two jars of Dried Tomatoes in Olive Oil.
Fresh Basil as much as you like

On a cutting board cut the dried tomatoes into strips.
Chop garlic or press and add into sauce
Add diced dried tomatoes and the olive oil from the jars.
Add large can of Diced Tomatoes
Season with Italian Herbs and additional dried Basil and Oragano
Chop Fresh Basil and hold until mixture is done.

This can be cooked on high in a Crock Pot for 2 to 3 hours. After two hours be sure to check it because it can burn quickly after that. Check it from time to time and stir.
When it has reduced and is thicker add the chopped Basil and remove from heat.

When cooled let stand overnight for the flavors to blend.

When ready to serve you may add additional freshly chopped Basil or use as garnish.

North Carolina Vinegar BBQ Sauce

1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1tablespoon hot pepper sauce such as Tabasco or your choice.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper.

Instructions
Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, caqyenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate for1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to two months in the refrigerator.

Makes two cups and recipe can doubled

Black Cherry Surprise
One bag of dried Black Cherries
1/2 cup of Black Cherry Concentrate
1/2 Jalapeno Pepper

Puree the pepper in the Black Cherry Concentrate. Add one cup of dried black cherries the the mixture and puree. When that is completed add the dried cherries a few at a time and chop to desired thickness. Let flavors blend over night so the flavors will combine.

Roasted Red and Yellow Pepper Spread

1 can of Roasted Pimento Peppers(or fresh charded peppers from the grill.)
Reserve some of the juices of the peppers.
1 can of Roasted Yellow Peppers (or fresh charded peppers from the grill.)
2 eight oz packages of Cream Cheese set at room temperature
3 tablespoons of Mayo
Salt and pepper to taste.

In a large bowl mix the cream cheese and the mayo together until smooth; you may need to add a bit of the pepper juices for smoothness.

Drain the peppers in a collander. In a separate bowl chop all the peppers and fold into the cream cheese mixture. Refridgerate over night for flavorsto blend.

Last edited by VGary; May 10, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old May 8, 2007   #3
ZBQ
Tomatovillian™

MANY,MANY Thanks Gary!

It was all DELICIOUS!!
Old May 9, 2007   #4
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Someone asked about the salad dressing that I brought, so here's the recipe:

I use the cruet to measure my ingredients, so the following are approximate:

2 TBS. Raw apple cider vinegar
1 TBS. Water
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 TBS Honey
2 TBS Stone-ground mustard
2 TBS. Olive Oil
1/3 cup+ Safflower Oil

The recipe needs salt and pepper, but I leave these out and just let everyone season their salad as they like.

Shake well. Store unused portion in the fridge. I don't know how long it keeps because we use it all!
Old May 9, 2007   #5
Melissa
Tomatovillian™

Could someone share the Key Lime Bar recipe please?
Old May 10, 2007   #6
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Melissa,

My wife made the Key Lime Bars. They are from a box bought at Krogers. She enhances them with some extra Lime Juice and a little bit of Lime zest.

I don’t know the brand of box mix but it’s probably the only one on the shelf. The box is light green in color.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JerryL; May 11, 2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old May 10, 2007   #7
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Jerry,

Let your wife know they were good! I ate two and had to exercise supreme self-control to keep myself from eating them all!

Thanks everyone for supplying the recipes!
Old May 11, 2007   #8
Melissa
Tomatovillian™

wow, thanks Jerry, no idea they were from a box. They were great!
Old May 11, 2007   #9
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I found this in the pantry. My first question was 'why aren't we eating these'?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2281.jpg (127.1 KB, 14 views)
Old May 11, 2007   #10
tomatoaddict

LOL That made me laugh Jerry.
Old May 18, 2007   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Gary! The Jezebel is divine.

And it was ME that asked for the Key Lime bars and I only got ONE! Deborah saved one for me, but guess what, Kathy ate it all the while sitting there grinning like a happy possum!