Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 10, 2015   #1
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Default What can I plant on rough new ground that is no till?

I cleared a wooded part of my land to add space to the veg garden. I can till it up, but it will require a lot of effort ripping out tree roots. I am only living here one more year and would like to avoid that if possible. The soil is soft and crumbly, a clay mixture for sure, but previous owners had horses back there so between the horse manure that broke down and the woods decay of leaves and such it is ok soil without ammending.

I figure I can plant pumpkins out there easily as they kinda ramble and take over without much work. Probably corn too, I was thinking potatoes, but I am not sure how easy they will do.

Do you have any recommendations on what breaks new ground the best?

TYIA
Old March 10, 2015   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post
I cleared a wooded part of my land to add space to the veg garden. I can till it up, but it will require a lot of effort ripping out tree roots. I am only living here one more year and would like to avoid that if possible. The soil is soft and crumbly, a clay mixture for sure, but previous owners had horses back there so between the horse manure that broke down and the woods decay of leaves and such it is ok soil without ammending.

I figure I can plant pumpkins out there easily as they kinda ramble and take over without much work. Probably corn too, I was thinking potatoes, but I am not sure how easy they will do.

TYIA
Personally I would simply roll out the mulch and plant my seedlings. Couldn't be easier.

Similar to this, but instead of in sod, it is in newly cleared forest. Red Baron Project

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; March 10, 2015 at 08:06 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Sweet potatoes and field peas (Cowpeas). Low maintenance, should be ok without irrigation unless it turns out to be a very dry year.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #4
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I wouldnt have thought of those. I'll be hand watering all summer Feel bad for me? lol
Old March 10, 2015   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Personally I would simply roll out the mulch and plant my seedlings. Couldn't be easier.

Similar to this, but instead of in sod, it is in newly cleared forest. Red Baron Project
Hope your method works because I'm doing it this year on land that has been pasture for about 30 years or more.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Hope your method works because I'm doing it this year on land that has been pasture for about 30 years or more.
I hope my method works too! I will be expanding it into an old abandoned farm this year. It better work or else I will have spent a major amount of time effort and no small amount of money for nothing.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2015   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

My only concern is things with small seeds that are broadcast, like lettuce. I don't want to start in pots so I will probably loosen and rake a few inches in areas for that sort of stuff.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015   #8
joepertsx
Tomatovillian™

Gardening in Houston Area. Fungus is a big problem. Does copper interfere with beneficial bacteria such as actinovate, or Reglia? Is Serenade affective?
joepertsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #9
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Last edited by Mike723; March 25, 2015 at 07:52 AM. Reason: double posted
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #10
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepertsx View Post
Gardening in Houston Area. Fungus is a big problem. Does copper interfere with beneficial bacteria such as actinovate, or Reglia? Is Serenade affective?

Yea, copper-based fungicides are toxic to soil bacteria. I haven't used serenade, but foliar feeding with a fungal dominant tea (preventative maintenance) will also help ya with the fungus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzelu100 View Post

TYIA
I'd top the plot with a good 2-4" of compost then drench it with a few balanced compost teas.
To finish it off I'd top it with some mulch - grass clippings, leaf mold, bark etc .. That should give the food web a nice boost and loosen the soil up some more.. You could also inoculate the pumpkins with some fungus - Good luck!
http://www.hollandsgiants.com/soil.html

Last edited by Mike723; March 25, 2015 at 01:37 AM.
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote