Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 19, 2009   #1
rldaye
Tomatovillian™

Default CFL bulbs as grow lights?

Hello " Tomatovillians" Has anyone used the new energy saveing light bulbs ( screw in type) , in place of the 40 W tube type? For seed starting. Newby, Ron
rldaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Yep, just converted. Runnin 6 26 watt 6400k and 3 Power Twists 40 watt 5500k. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0008.jpg (56.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0009.jpg (60.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0010.jpg (63.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0011.jpg (61.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_0012.jpg (63.1 KB, 49 views)
Old March 19, 2009   #3
rldaye
Tomatovillian™

Hello Amideutch, Like your adjust feature for heigh, keep us posted on how the system works. Hope to see some other reply's to this post, haven't set up for artifical light yet so hope this post will be a learning experience.
Thanks Ron
rldaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Earlier this year, I ran into a deal on lights. Lowes had 4 foot, two-bulb, T-12 fixtures for $8.95 each and I got three of those. Then I looked over in bulbs and found a box of 10 T-12 bulbs (40W, Daylight, 6500K) for $19.95. They have been working great.

But like Ami, I am considering those spiral thingies for a small germinating section of my roll-around seedling rack. I'm putting together some changes on how I'm taking my babies from seeds to plant-out and those spiral bulbs will probably be an integral part of the new setup.

I also like the height adjustment strategy in your setup, Ami. I'm currently using chains from the light fixture up to some S-hooks.

"Lookin' good in Ami's neighborhood".

The other Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2009   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Yep, just converted. Runnin 6 26 watt 6400k and 3 Power Twists 40 watt 5500k. Ami
Nice conversion, Ted. I'd like to do the same thing but with three of the new LED bulbs I have here.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I made an offer earlier and got no responses. I've got 6 each 23 watt 6400k CFL's like the ones in my picture that are 115vac 60 Hz That I will Give away. Reason being I can't use them here as they won't fire on 50 Hz voltage over here. Compensation for postage can be negotiated.
I've looked at the LED arrays and the price isn't there yet and the energy savings realized still can't compare to a CFL when you are using these seedling lights maybe 3-4 weeks a year! As a year round grow light then you can get a payback on energy savings to warrant the initial layout for the initial cost of the units. Ami
Old March 20, 2009   #7
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

Just let me caution you about a potential drawback to the CFL bulbs. Read the label/handle with care. Some of these have enough mercury in them to be an issue if they break. How do I know? I broke one. You're not even supposed to be in the room for 15 min afterward because the mercury has been aerated. There's a whole procedure for cleaning them up. Maybe things have changed in the last year.

Barb
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2009   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Ami, You have a PM

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009   #9
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

I've been using CFL bulbs for the past three years with great results. I found some that have the same output as a 200w incandescent, but of course, use much less juice than that.

I use four of them in brooder clamp on lamp holders with large aluminum reflectors. I got it all at a local Menards.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009   #10
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

I used 3 of them before I moved my seedlings out onto the porch this year. Because I didn't have enough, I put the shelf in front of a sunny window and put the lights on the other side of the shelf. I just turned the plants every morning so they alternated sunlight and bulb light. They seemed to do fine with them. However, most of the actual sprouting was still done under 2 tube type bulbs.

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2009   #11
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumierefrere View Post
Just let me caution you about a potential drawback to the CFL bulbs. Read the label/handle with care. Some of these have enough mercury in them to be an issue if they break. How do I know? I broke one. You're not even supposed to be in the room for 15 min afterward because the mercury has been aerated. There's a whole procedure for cleaning them up. Maybe things have changed in the last year.

Barb
Yikes. I use them to light my peafowl enclosure at night and one of the birds somehow broke one today.

I cleaned it up totally but I now I'm thinking I should remove a shovelful of dirt from where it fell and smashed.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2009   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Those AeroGardens use flattened CFLs. I received a catalog in the mail and it had replacement bulbs in the back.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote