Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 18, 2015   #31
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I got the Kindle version, too. I think it was around 9-10$. Well worth the money!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #32
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Of the two tomatoes we ate, One was the color of those in pic #2. The other was between pic 1 and 2 in color. The overall taste was good.

I'm wondering if the fact that we have had overcast skies for two weeks may also factor in on how they taste?
Tomatoes taste better when grown with less water. Could be the 15" or more of rain you've gotten is effecting taste.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

A reprieve on my thoughts of taste of Sungold tomatoes. As I thought, the lack of sunny days and all the rain has caused tomatoes to taste weird/odd.

We have many ripe SSC 100s that usually (4 years growing them) have no taste other than sweet. This year they taste acidic.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2015   #34
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

In looking back on tomatoes I have grown and was not impressed with, now I realize that it may have been the growing conditions or soil that was the problem, and not the tomato variety.

I've had a wet spring, too. I built up the ridges I am growing in much higher this year, and that has helped a lot. I can have standing water between the rows, but under the plastic, the soil around the roots is only lightly damp. Without a big ridge, the water wicks up under the plastic, so it doesn't really help to keep the soil from getting too wet. The raised bed/ridge is key. I'm hoping all of this will translate to better flavor if it continues to be wet weather.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You all were not kidding about Sungold cracking. We picked some yesterday and put them on the Kitchen bar. One of them split on the bar today - more like tried to split in half. It tasted good.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote