Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 20, 2016   #136
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I used the drip line with built in emitters and self cleaning diaphragm, they are also pressure compensating since I am on a slight slope. So far I like it, I normally use regular drip with pop in emitters and spaghetti tubing but under plastic I wanted something without protrusions. I initially planned on using drip tape but was told it is one and done and I would need to buy new yearly, so I went the more expensive route so I could re-use it. I took some pics of installation but cant upload them atm.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #137
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I got two years out of drip tape last time. I expanded the garden, so I replaced all the drip tape. I am going to leave the tape and the plastic for at least two years. I'll probably go for three.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #138
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I used the drip line with built in emitters and self cleaning diaphragm, they are also pressure compensating since I am on a slight slope. So far I like it, I normally use regular drip with pop in emitters and spaghetti tubing but under plastic I wanted something without protrusions. I initially planned on using drip tape but was told it is one and done and I would need to buy new yearly, so I went the more expensive route so I could re-use it. I took some pics of installation but cant upload them atm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I got two years out of drip tape last time. I expanded the garden, so I replaced all the drip tape. I am going to leave the tape and the plastic for at least two years. I'll probably go for three.
How many feet of this stuff are you guys using?
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #139
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

My set-up looks just like Cole_Robbie's except I use a brass ball valve. I find the brass valves are easier to turn. The adapter I use is Perma Loc. And I use pressure compensating drip line like BigVanVader. I am on my second year with few complaints.

I have about ten lines ranging from 12 feet to 40 feet. Some of the lines have an air vent at the end. I am replacing the air vents with caps because they don't always close and water flows out the end.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #140
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
How many feet of this stuff are you guys using?
Worth
I doubled everything from last year, so I am at just under 900' of row, 9x100'. If I get my melon patch in, I will add another few hundred feet. The last time I grew melons, I had four 300' rows. But this year will be much smaller.
Old April 20, 2016   #141
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I doubled everything from last year, so I am at just under 900' of row, 9x100'. If I get my melon patch in, I will add another few hundred feet. The last time I grew melons, I had four 300' rows. But this year will be much smaller.
You guys might think about Rainbird XFS subsurface drip line.
For around $125 to $150 dollars or so you can get 500 feet of it.
You can also get it in different emitter spacing and so on.
I have used some of this stuff and others and it works very well.
Just look it up and shop around for the best price.
Worth
Old April 20, 2016   #142
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

That's what I'm using Worth, I bought 600 ft but I probably won't need it all.
Old April 20, 2016   #143
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
That's what I'm using Worth, I bought 600 ft but I probably won't need it all.
I thought it was and you will continue to like it.
If you haven't please install a 200 mesh filter in the system.
This is for anyone reading this.
To go out and buy drip line and not do this is a total waste of money.
Ask me how I know.
Worth
Old April 20, 2016   #144
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I learned that way about using drip tape without the pressure regulator. It works for about ten minutes, then ruptures and sprays water 15' into the air.
Old April 21, 2016   #145
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeah I got the filter, pressure regulator, the whole 9. Set me back around $230, but should pay for itself in maters.
Old April 21, 2016   #146
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I'm going on season 3 (or 4 lol) with my Aqua-Traxx drip tape.. 10psi regulation, 155 mesh filter.. And you can't beat the price at 98 bucks for 1,000 ft!
http://www.dripworks.com/product/Q_TA15

Edit: Although I will say, I'm not particularly happy with the surface of the soil.. The mulches don't get very moist and it slows their decomposition, so every now and then I'll go in there with the hose and give the surface a good wetting - I unfortunately can't do it when the tomatoes are in the ground (I don't wet my plants unless it's with compost tea) so it leaves me wondering if there is a better option that is more effective at wetting the entire surface; without splashing of course.. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too....? Then I don't even want to see the cake! haha

Last edited by Mike723; April 21, 2016 at 09:12 AM.
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #147
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That Aqua-trax is 15-mil, which is strong stuff.

I buy Chapin brand from Morgan County Seed, 10-mil, 12" spacing, 3000' for $82.50
Old April 21, 2016   #148
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Here in California drip tape and plastic mulch is everywhere in the form of strawberry fields. I buy my stuff from Poly West on the Central Coast of California. They are used to selling to large scale farms so when i went in there and explained what i needed it for the guy was more than helpful. He sold me 4000 ft of white on black poly custom cut to 54 in wide for 100 bucks. He also sold me a 10,000 ft roll of 10 mil drip tape with 12 in spacing and 0.81 gph emmitters for 100 bucks. The guy also threw in 700 of the staples and 1000 trellis clips for free. I think these guys like to see the little guy using their technology. If you have any kind of large scale farm supply place around you pop on in there and more than likely they will take care of you. Cole what gph emmitters do you run?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #149
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That Aqua-trax is 15-mil, which is strong stuff.

I buy Chapin brand from Morgan County Seed, 10-mil, 12" spacing, 3000' for $82.50
Yea the Aqua-Traxx is super strong at 15-mil, and I get 8" spacing.. I just got a beautiful Chapin backpack sprayer (diaphragm) for the compost tea this year..
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #150
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

That Chapin tape with the 12" spacing is .5 GPM per 100'