Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Interested in planning your own tomato-tasting event? Post your ideas and/or plans here!

Old September 13, 2007   #1
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Default Kitchener Waterloo Oktoberfest

At the Buffalo Niagara Tomato Taste Fest some of us got to talking about the upcoming Oktoberfest held in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA. It starts on October 5th (the Friday of Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend or Columbus Day Weekend in the States) with the official keg tapping and runs through until October 14th when they put the plug back in the ceremonial keg. This is the largest Oktoberfest outside of Munich....anywhere. We played host to over 750,000 people last year! There are various events going on during the 10 days. Some are family oriented and some are for adults (age of majority is 19 in Ontario) only.

Hey I don't know if anybody here's interested in doing some festing that may or may not include tomatoes (LOL), but I thought I'd post some info. The official website for the whole Bavarian style festival is: www.oktoberfest.ca There you can find info on various events, Festhallen (more on that later) and accomodations.

The Kiwanis Club that I belong to runs the second biggest Festhalle (and a regular winner in the Best Large Festhallen Award Category) - we're licensed for 2300 people. I've agreed to arrange for tickets for some the guests at the Buffalo Niagara Tomato Taste Fest for some of the nights at our Festhalle for those interested - provided we're not sold out on those nights. I think Tomatoaddict and crew were planning on coming up from Ohio on the long weekend. And there were some others that we're sure yet. Just so you know, our Festhalle runs different "themes" on different nights. Some of them cater to a university/college crowd (there are 3 in KW and 15 more at least within an hour and half drive of KW). With the exception of BEATtoberfest, our host band will be playing a mix of Oompah pah / German music and anything from Swing to Top 40's Dance music.

Saturday October 6th is PRIDEtoberfest....which is going to the second year we've done it....and we've got groups travelling in from as far away as Florida, California, Massachusetts, B.C., Missouri and Texas for it....but as great a party as PRIDEtoberfest is, it may not be everybody's cup of tea or brew. Other nights attract a broader age range and demographic. Check out our websites if you're interested: www.karlsberghaus.com or www.pridetoberfest.com So if you're interested in joining some fellow TV-er's at Karlsberghaus, let me know.

BTW, I'm not promoting this for any profit of my own. This is run by a non-profit organisation - The Kiwanis Club of the Twin Cities, Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA. All proceeds go to community projects and groups.

Ein Proesit!!
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #2
tessa
Tomatovillian™

hey zana...that all sounds great.
if i was still living in hamilton...i'd be over for sure!
as it is...
it's a bit far to travel...but i'd love to hear all about it once it's over.
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2007   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Hey Tessa,
Yeah, Hamilton is close by....but Perth is a bit down the road....and Perth, AUSTRALIA is even FARTHER down the way...lol. Hoping to get to Perth sometime in the next year to visit some cousins. Maybe I could time with a tomato taste test? LOL
Old September 13, 2007   #4
tessa
Tomatovillian™

definitely!
just let me know when you're here.
what time of year are you thinking of coming?
Old September 13, 2007   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Summer in Oz 2008/2009
Old September 13, 2007   #6
tessa
Tomatovillian™

oy.
hope you like the sound of 42C then.
otherwise...i would suggest autumn.
Old September 13, 2007   #7
Zana
Tomatovillian™

lol....and yeah, 42C beats the hell out of -42C which it might be back home...lol Actually I don't really have a prob with high heat, unless humid. I'll be spending most of my time farther south than Perth, in Bundaberg, Sydney, Melbourne and Taz, so should be less hot. And of course, got to get my requisite diving in on the GBR...sighhhhhhh.....I can dream can't I? No point in going that distance and not getting in some diving as far as I'm concerned.

Back to Oktoberfest....Tessa, if you know anybody back in Hamilton, that's looking for tix, let me know. They're going fast, last I checked...at least at our Festhalle.
Old September 15, 2007   #8
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

And that would be Hamilton, Ontario,????
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2007   #9
Zana
Tomatovillian™

yep that it would be....lol
Old September 16, 2007   #10
Zana
Tomatovillian™

ok...just to remind anybody who's thinking of joining the party....20 days to the keg tapping! lol I think I heard a rumour that our illustrious Mayor of TV might make an appearance.

I know its short notice, but maybe something to keep in mind for next year, but it might be a good time for a seed swap, since most people will have in the northern States and Canada will have wrapped up their gardens for the season, by then. Just food for thought. (Although at the rate mine is going, I might just see some of my varieties putting out their first "fully ripe" tomatoes by Oktoberfest this year. Go figure. Guess all that concrete pays off under the containers/pots....didn't spot any effects of the frost we got last night.)
Old September 21, 2007   #11
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Two Weeks today is the start of Kitchener Waterloo's Oktoberfest. Advance ticket sales for events and Festhallen are up across the board....as well as hotel rooms. Sooooo if you're interested in joining the mini TV party, you need to let me know asap.

Hope to see you there....although since I'm working the front door at our Festhalle throughout the festival, I may not "see" anything or anybody some nights...lol.
Old September 29, 2007   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Well we're less than a week away from the official Keg Tapping Opening Ceremonies of Kitchener Waterloo's Oktoberfest. Opening Ceremonies are on Friday October 5th. It looks like allot of those TV-er's who initially said they were coming have bailed due to family issues....visiting family or sick family. If anybody is still interested in coming and wants some tickets let me know. But come Wednesday, don't expect quick answers, since I'll be at the Festhalle either setting up or working it....for 12 to 18 hours a day until the 14th. LOL

It was suggested that we start planning for next year's gathering of TV-er's at Oktoberfest. Mischka, you want to reserve your weekend in advance this time?...LOL. Tomatoaddict, I know you're bummed that you won't be there this year, so I'm expecting you here next year for sure. Think that there were a few others. Feldon, if you read this....you can stock up on Montreal Smoked Meat if you come. Found somebody that will vacuum seal it for you so you can get it home....;-) . Terry and I discussed having an Oktoberfest Seed Swap, which seems appropriate for the whole theme of Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest has its origins in an elaborate Bavarian wedding of some local noble....and it was planned to coincide with the harvest. Since Southern Ontario usually wraps up most of their harvesting by mid October, a seed swap may work for even those of us who live up here. Let me know if you're interested. I'll post more about it next year. I'm sure Terry will be up to her eyeballs helping organising it and "festing". ;-)
Old September 29, 2007   #13
MikeH
Tomatovillian™

Hmmmm...a keg tapping ceremony .Wished I lived a little closer,I'd join ya all.Sounds like a good time,Zana!
Old September 29, 2007   #14
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Our little hall goes through a measly 350 kegs or so in the 6 days of the festival we're open....lol. That's allot of keg tapping too...just short on ceremony and long on pouring...lol!!!

By my calculations, Mike, you're just about 3.5 hours or so west of Chi-town? That would make you about 9.5 to 10.5 hours from KW. Can't guarantee snow as an excuse for a road trip...hehehe...but can guarantee cold beer...and hot coffee...lol.

Last edited by Zana; September 30, 2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old September 30, 2007   #15
MikeH
Tomatovillian™

Temptations,temptations,see how you are Zana,lol!Wish I could,but burned my vacation time up this summer.The doc say's I can't drink beer anymore anywho,and frowns when I say I still have a cup of the java from time to time.I've noticed he seems lacking of a sense of humor on the subjects mentioned above.Quite a shame,imo,LOL!

Hope you have a good time at the fest.Looked like a good time was had by all in the NY tomato tasting you went to last month.

A bit OT,but how did your beans end up doing?The Mennonite's really kicked into high gear here in my garden this summer,excellent taste to boot!!!

Drink a couple of the cold ones for me,will ya?LOL.