Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 12, 2007   #1
johno
Tomatovillian™

Default future hybrid projects?

This dwarf project is starting to take shape to me after weeks of reading a bit now and then. Very interesting, except that I'm more interested in giants...

So, I am wondering what projects might be looming in the future?
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Well, go for it! I haven't tried the art of crossing....but if you are looking for biggies, Cuostralee X Mortgage Lifter could be interesting!
Old February 12, 2007   #3
johno
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, that could make a big one!

I'm not making a suggestion, though - just wondering if there are any plans brewing?

If not, what are some suggestions?

I haven't tried crossing before, either, but I'm eager to learn.

Last edited by johno; April 18, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2010   #4
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like an idea for a new project page to me! The "Giant" Project!
Old March 28, 2010   #5
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I wonder what would be better, crossing large varieties only or mixing in varieties that tend to put out mega blooms.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

Varieties with genetically extra large fruit, yellow epidermis and fasciated flowers is what you'd want to start with. You could use pink varieties, with clear epidermis, so long as you cross to a parent with yellow epidermis to obtain more elastic skin. The Mountain Series has some jumbo parent lines but the blossoms are not fasciated so seldom produce fused/multiple ova.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2010   #7
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Varieties with genetically extra large fruit, yellow epidermis and fasciated flowers is what you'd want to start with. You could use pink varieties, with clear epidermis, so long as you cross to a parent with yellow epidermis to obtain more elastic skin. The Mountain Series has some jumbo parent lines but the blossoms are not fasciated so seldom produce fused/multiple ova.
What's the theory behind this? What's the reasoning?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole breeding, genetics, crossing thing, but it's like a career's worth of education. Science was not my best subject. Thanks!
Old March 29, 2010   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Well obviously you want to start with extra large fruit. That's just a step up right out of the chute.

Then most of the record tomatoes seem to be those grown from "mega-blooms" which are two or more blossoms fused together at the ova. Fasciated blossoms are more common with some varieties, so you want to concentrate on those types.

The reason I mention yellow epidermis is because it is more elastic than clear epidermis and you increase your chances of fruit with fewer splits and cracks that might lead to deterioration before harvest and weigh-in.
Old March 30, 2010   #9
jackdaniel
Tomatovillian™

VERY interesting... good assumptions thae way you explained it. Never hard of the mega-blooms, and the dermis idea is intriguing. Thanks.
Old March 31, 2010   #10
travis
Tomatovillian™

Late night reading: http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/full/158/1/413