Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 28, 2014   #1
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default determinates and indeterminates

I just checked and know all my seedlings i grew are indeterminate.. question .. Sungolds Matts and remy rough are cherry size tomatoes.. are these 50 -60 day plants? Are prudens purple and krims longer maturity ? I remember my favorite burpee hybrid super beef steak is disease resistant 80 days to maturity. I want to pick early as possible .. so feeding and growing these indoors as fast as possible should advance maturity date ..the 80 day is from the time of seed germination right?
Old March 28, 2014   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

DTM is from time of transplant. It is very subjective to weather and conditions, though.

The first tomato I will pick is Terrenzo or Lizzano. Both are cherries. Terrenzo is faster, but determinate. Lizzano is a few days after, but supposed to be semi-indeterminate. Then the next will be Northern Delight, which is a determinate saladette. Then Taxi and Early Girl will ripen, followed by Big Beef about a week and a half later.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #3
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
I want to pick early as possible .. so feeding and growing these indoors as fast as possible should advance maturity date ..the 80 day is from the time of seed germination right?
To a certain extent it does, but not as much as one would think. Planting seeds two weeks earlier generally doesn't give you tomatoes two weeks earlier. The problem is that until the soil warms up and the cool nights end tomatoes regardless of their age just sit there. I've had 4 week old plants that I restarted because of some mishap ripen fruit only a few days later that 8 week old plants.

If you are pushing for as early as possible I think you need to do something like tunnels.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Last year was my first year with the high tunnel, but I ended up with tomatoes to sell about a month before outdoor garden tomatoes came in. I'm guessing that 30 day figure will be typical for my climate.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #5
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
To a certain extent it does, but not as much as one would think. Planting seeds two weeks earlier generally doesn't give you tomatoes two weeks earlier. The problem is that until the soil warms up and the cool nights end tomatoes regardless of their age just sit there. I've had 4 week old plants that I restarted because of some mishap ripen fruit only a few days later that 8 week old plants.

If you are pushing for as early as possible I think you need to do something like tunnels.
Doug,I read you you and understand.. hey I google mapped your town.. I use to drive up to fish Oneida lk in mid June.. we'd stay for a week..on rt to and from..i always enjoyed the scenic rolling landscapes and big dairy farms upstate ny! Nice up there too.
Old March 28, 2014   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I'm about two miles from Oneida Lake. Durhamville's mailing area covers quite an area.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2014   #7
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
DTM is from time of transplant. It is very subjective to weather and conditions, though.

The first tomato I will pick is Terrenzo or Lizzano. Both are cherries. Terrenzo is faster, but determinate. Lizzano is a few days after, but supposed to be semi-indeterminate. Then the next will be Northern Delight, which is a determinate saladette. Then Taxi and Early Girl will ripen, followed by Big Beef about a week and a half later.
you seem to have it down pat,, i was never a fan of early girls. Hopefully my choice of cherry tomatoes ( matts wild cherry , Sungolds, remy rough mature early.
Old March 28, 2014   #8
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I'm about two miles from Oneida Lake. Durhamville's mailing area covers quite an area.
bouye 109 we use to limit out eyes
Old March 28, 2014   #9
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Days to maturity is from the date you plant them out, not from the date the seed germinated.
So 80 days starts ticking when they hit the garden...I wish it was the other way...crap...I could have grown any variety around in Wyoming then!
Old March 29, 2014   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
I just checked and know all my seedlings i grew are indeterminate.. question .. Sungolds Matts and remy rough are cherry size tomatoes.. are these 50 -60 day plants? Are prudens purple and krims longer maturity ? I remember my favorite burpee hybrid super beef steak is disease resistant 80 days to maturity. I want to pick early as possible .. so feeding and growing these indoors as fast as possible should advance maturity date ..the 80 day is from the time of seed germination right?
I don't know about 50 days, but Sungold and Matt's Wild Cherry will be your very first tomatoes, at least a week before anything else is ready. Those cherries will produce over several months (if you have the climate for it), and the plants can reach 8-10 feet given the time.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2014   #11
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I don't know about 50 days, but Sungold and Matt's Wild Cherry will be your very first tomatoes, at least a week before anything else is ready. Those cherries will produce over several months (if you have the climate for it), and the plants can reach 8-10 feet given the time.
wow! that tall? ..I guess i'll be sure to set them in the back sunset row so they have the fence for additional support as well as not shade my krims prudens beefsteak etc.