Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 24, 2016   #1
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving seeds - techniques

Yes, I'm aware that fermentation is the ubiquitous practice. But I ran across an article last year that uses kitchen cleanser, like Comet, to strip the goop off the seeds.

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Save..._Tutorial.html

Unfortunately, the link is dead. Web site is still there, but no documents.

Does anyone use this method? Details?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I use the fermentation method. I don't want to take a chance on spreading diseases.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I use Oxy Clean. Here's the link to the method: http://settfest.feldoncentral.com/2009/01/saving-seeds/
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I use a combo of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda works great in under an hour. Or i do like Container Ted and ferment in closed canning jars. Takes the stank and fruit fly's right out of the equation.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #5
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Oxi-Clean, eh? I actually have some of that.

heirloomtomaguy, what's the recipe?

- Will Rogers

Old July 25, 2016   #6
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Oxi-Clean, eh? I actually have some of that.

heirloomtomaguy, what's the recipe?
The Oxy Clean method is in Cole Robbie's link in post 3. Here is Ted Maiden's fermentation technique from Tatiana's Tomatobase: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/A...g_Fermentation It worked well for me.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

HTG, could you remind me of the recipe for the peroxide/soda treatment?

I have a fruit I'm thinking to start seeds right away, but I figure I need to strip the gel off for them to germinate quicker. It's a cherry size fruit, if that makes any difference to the amounts.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The Oxy Clean recipe is fairly forgiving. I don't even measure the powder; I just use a heaping kitchen spoon. I think the 1 tbsp/1 cup water & juice is about the maximum powder amount that can be dissolved in that much liquid.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #9
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Your recipe was good. I was asking HTG about his.

- Will Rogers

Old July 26, 2016   #10
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Depending on the amount of seeds you are femrmenting the recipe will vary but for a small amount i use a a teaspoon of water, a cap full of hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of baking soda. I mix it in with the seed pulp and instantly it goes to work. If there is not enough juice the concoction with froth and some of the seeds will be out of the mix. Its only ever happened to me twice. Most the time i just eyeball my mix and add more as needed. Should be good and clean in an hour.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #11
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

I just tried this, works EXCEPTIONALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Depending on the amount of seeds you are femrmenting the recipe will vary but for a small amount i use a a teaspoon of water, a cap full of hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of baking soda. I mix it in with the seed pulp and instantly it goes to work. If there is not enough juice the concoction with froth and some of the seeds will be out of the mix. Its only ever happened to me twice. Most the time i just eyeball my mix and add more as needed. Should be good and clean in an hour.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, HTG I totally missed your reply and put the seeds to ferment yesterday. I might take them out though and just do it. Pretty sure I still have those ingredients.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2016   #13
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I definitely want to try some of these methods on seeds in the future, it sounds a lot quicker than fermenting them. I can't imagine that fermentation would kill any more germs than peroxide or oxyclean, but you never know.
Old July 30, 2016   #14
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

So does anyone know if by using either method of Oxy clean or peroxide/ baking soda

for 35-45 minutes reduces pathogens by a certain rate .......does extending the chemical treatment to 60 minutes exposure reduce a slight bit more of the less than 1 % outside seed coat pathogens left ?

or is 60 minutes "overkill' and risk of chemical damage to seeds can happen after that time of exposure /treatment.?

To me 60 minutes or even 120 minutes is still "tidy" compared to 3 days of fermentation ...in a limited space ...with many varieties to "treat".

I am still a big fan of a dream of "heat treatment" technique to treat inside pathogens as well

as outside ...but the Chemical treatment is the most likely back up till the Tomato hobby gets
totally out of control......LOL
Old July 30, 2016   #15
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know ?....if grandma gives you a seed smudge on a napkin from a special plant extra rare heirloom (untreated ) ...... Is that seed "treatable" with chemicals after the fact of the seed smudge being dried out on the napkin ??? or.... Is it not to late to treat the seeds with mere outside Chemical or fermentation treatments ...
even though they are rare and special ??? You really must be aware you are taking your chances ...with the seed as it was not actually treated...it is a smudge on knapkin!