Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 16, 2017   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Slow Tomato Germination?

I planted tomato seeds on the 8th. Today is the 16th. Two of the varieties that have not germinated are Big Beef F1 and Supersweet Cherry F1. I've been trying to remember if they germinated slowly last year or not?

I'm wondering if these two are ones that take a little longer to germinate?

(Just an observation of mine - it seems I have more problems with store bought tomato seeds than ones we save ourselves.)

A couple others that haven't germinated yet are ones I wasn't sure if they would come up or not - Accession PI 647466 99GI Chiapas Wild Cherry, but those seeds might come from 1934. The other is Momotaro F2. I saved seeds from the Momotaro F1 and shared them with the MMMM as experimental. So far, the experiment hasn't worked - good luck if you got seeds. I'll plant some more.

There are a couple others, but I know they take longer to germinate.

AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2017   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I grew Big Beef from seed last year and found it difficult. They were slow to germinate, some slower than others. My recollection is up to about 16 days. Also they grew wimpy and slow for me. Luckily they're popular around here and Home Depot sells them; I won't be doing them from seed again.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2017   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There are two Big Beef plants up now (1-23-17) but I don't think they are going to make it. The Burpee Supersweet 100 look even worse. Yet the other hybrids and OPs growing near them look fine.

They are popular in our local markets as well. Looks like if we want to grow them - we'll be buying transplants too.
Old January 24, 2017   #4
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I planted tomato seeds on the 8th. Today is the 16th. Two of the varieties that have not germinated are Big Beef F1 and Supersweet Cherry F1. I've been trying to remember if they germinated slowly last year or not?

I'm wondering if these two are ones that take a little longer to germinate?
Most of my Supersweet 100s (Burpee) sprout within 4-5 days, usually 100% within 14 days (for the hold outs). I've done equal amounts in jiffy pots and coffee filters ... didn't make a difference to the germination time. I checked my notes from the past and that was my comments about them.
Maybe you just got seed that was not stored right.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2017   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Rhines, you're probably right. We bought them at Tractor Supply (TSC) locally in January 2015. They are Burpee.
Old January 24, 2017   #6
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Rhines, you're probably right. We bought them at Tractor Supply (TSC) locally in January 2015. They are Burpee.
Are those seed pelleted? I have read that pelleted seed are only good for the year they were originally packaged.
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2017   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They were not pelleted.
Old January 25, 2017   #8
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Robert, I have a fresh pack of Big Beef F-1 if you want some seeds. PM me.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Twice I have had trouble with seed generation, once with Sophies Choice and once with Anna Russian. Each time a dozen other varieties gave 80-100% germination in the same containers, starting mix and location. Never understood why. Have you gotten any to germination yet? I did get a few after replanting the ones I had trouble with but never got really germination from them. They were both purchased seeds from a large seller that many here use. I guess chances are low of ever really figuring out why.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sue, it is mystery to me too, but I think I'm starting to get a better understanding.

I just looked and the Big Beef now have 5 plants emerging after the second planting. Maybe, I didn't present the right conditions for them to germinate before? The way I had learned in my first two years of planting tomato and pepper seeds - My thoughts - "When germinating pepper seeds - there is a lot more to it than with tomato seeds." I am starting to re-think that.

New thoughts - Each variety of tomato is different. Like pepper seeds, some need more water, some need less. Others need warmer soil/starter mix to germinate. Some take longer to germinate because I am not giving them optimal germination environmental situations.

I've been planting these seeds out in 72 cell trays grown in a 74F degree room temperature... expecting them all to want the same thing...but they are different.
Old January 26, 2017   #11
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

The room temp is 74F, but the soil is likely colder. I always make sure the soil is a bit warmer for germination.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #12
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sue, it is mystery to me too, but I think I'm starting to get a better understanding.

I just looked and the Big Beef now have 5 plants emerging after the second planting. Maybe, I didn't present the right conditions for them to germinate before? The way I had learned in my first two years of planting tomato and pepper seeds - My thoughts - "When germinating pepper seeds - there is a lot more to it than with tomato seeds." I am starting to re-think that.

New thoughts - Each variety of tomato is different. Like pepper seeds, some need more water, some need less. Others need warmer soil/starter mix to germinate. Some take longer to germinate because I am not giving them optimal germination environmental situations.

I've been planting these seeds out in 72 cell trays grown in a 74F degree room temperature... expecting them all to want the same thing...but they are different.
Robert, get a light that puts off some heat to germinate plants, keep them moist and your problems will be a thing of the past. Pepper seeds will sprout just fine too. If you have low heat emitting lights, enclose your area.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mark, did you see me in the store buying brighter warmer lights about 2 hours ago? I got the 2900 lumens Daylight fluorescent bulbs to replace the soft white ones.
Old January 26, 2017   #14
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mark, did you see me in the store buying brighter warmer lights about 2 hours ago? I got the 2900 lumens Daylight fluorescent bulbs to replace the soft white ones.
That telepathy stuff works
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2017   #15
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Trick to fast germination.. put seed tray on top of Clothes Dryer while drying your cloths.. In like 2 days you will have all your tomato seeds sprouting to life. True Story!
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote