Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 16, 2018   #2071
bower
Tomatovillian™

CarolynK, what a mess. Here's hoping dry weather is on the way.
Our soil here is a heavy clay - nothing worse you can do than try to work the ground when it's wet. I hope you have a nice long spell of fine days coming for everything to get back to normal.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #2072
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

cold and wet all week. the high was 42 and it was at 8 this morning. it is nasty out there. DH and son dug a basement on Friday... it is flooded full and running over the top. the wall collapsed and covered the sump pump that was in place by the builder. he had to go set up a trash pump and pump out the basement this morning.
Cars are submerged in Cleveland. roads are covered, Cleveland schools are closed due to flooding. sigh. not sure which is worse at this time of year.... flooding or snow and cold.
Old April 16, 2018   #2073
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Tonight will very hopefully be my last freeze of this very cold spring. I saw snow flurries this morning. Even the bee keepers are complaining about the weather. The first honey harvest is going to be at least a month later than normal. Hardly anything is blooming for the bees, and they don't leave the hive on cold days like today.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018   #2074
bower
Tomatovillian™

The tail end of that nasty system will get here on Wednesday, as freezing rain and rain. We have one more nasty looking day on Friday before, fingers crossed, it gets fit to plant tomatoes in the greenhouse.

Meanwhile the sunshine today worked out great for me. I had kelp spread out to dry but you really can't crush it up unless it's really dry, and the minute it gets a little humid it picks up the moisture and is impossible to break into small pieces. Using my boots to crush today, as I'm still favoring the arm/hand I injured last week. It worked well. Cheer up guys, here's a shot of my sunny day. That ball of fire is still out there....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunny-16.JPG (419.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg sunny-kelpcrush.JPG (274.1 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg sun-100-16.JPG (286.1 KB, 131 views)
Old April 17, 2018   #2075
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Here we have the first spring rain. Apricots bloom. I hope that nothing will happen as the last two years.
Vladimír
Hi Vladimir, those are very nice pictures - thank you. Five more inches of snow here today - at least the skiing is good. :-)

rg
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #2076
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Another cold night after 11 days past LFD. Iis forecast the mercury drop to 37F , just at sunrise time. Currently (4:10 am) it is 40F. Three more hours of suspence. I hope that it won,t drop to freezing mark. All my tomatoes and peppers are left out in the cold.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #2077
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
The tail end of that nasty system will get here on Wednesday, as freezing rain and rain. We have one more nasty looking day on Friday before, fingers crossed, it gets fit to plant tomatoes in the greenhouse.

Meanwhile the sunshine today worked out great for me. I had kelp spread out to dry but you really can't crush it up unless it's really dry, and the minute it gets a little humid it picks up the moisture and is impossible to break into small pieces. Using my boots to crush today, as I'm still favoring the arm/hand I injured last week. It worked well. Cheer up guys, here's a shot of my sunny day. That ball of fire is still out there....
I see your green house has a nice smooth floor to make it easy to get around in high heals and an evening gown.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #2078
imp
Tomatovillian™

Well, supposed to get in the low 90's today here, but a few towns over and slightly south, Crowell is supposed to hit 100 today. In April.

True, you are getting into high desert/rock country there, but dang, in April?!! Might be a long summer this year.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #2079
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Well, supposed to get in the low 90's today here, but a few towns over and slightly south, Crowell is supposed to hit 100 today. In April.

True, you are getting into high desert/rock country there, but dang, in April?!! Might be a long summer this year.
I've heard a lot about the weather in Wichita Falls, Texas. I had an instructor at OU in Norman who grew up in Wichita Falls. From time to time he would also talk about his son who he called a "free spirit" and look me straight in the eyes when he used that term. The whole thing seems kind of ironic now that I think back on it. Thanks for bring back those memories.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; April 17, 2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Grammar
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #2080
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

sundays storm dumped a foot of snow on us, but it wasn't done.
we got about another foot maybe less, but not by much on monday.
the 5 foot T posts in the garden that the beans and peas grow up has about
2 ft showing above the snow. spent 3 hrs clearing snow from the drive, and around the house. 4 ft of snow around the propane tank had to be cleared because we ran out of propane. i normally stay on top of that, but was remiss this time.
at this rate we will have snow on the ground once may rolls around.
summer seems so far away..........

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018   #2081
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I see your green house has a nice smooth floor to make it easy to get around in high heals and an evening gown.

Worth
You bet. If there was ever a place for such a drafty garment as a dress it would be that greenhouse today, 85F in the shade and I just spent 3 hours on soil prep out there in the sun. Pity I smashed my toenail while cutting a snag a few decades ago, have not been able to wear the dainty shoes since then.
The floor usually gets a few adjustments every spring as the smaller rocks do work their way out or get snagged by things being dragged around. But injury has got the best of ambition this time. The chip rock is actually quite deep and the best stones are quite large boulders that are just flat on one side, they never budge. All the stones are flat one side and came from here on the property, no shortage of rocks. If I had a glass of wine I would raise it now and toast the fine men who helped me build that floor in exchange for dinner and drinks - Kurdish friends I met while teaching esl. Very fine folks indeed, it was quite a piece of work!
Old April 17, 2018   #2082
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Woke to a winter frigging wonderland. <sigh>

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #2083
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Freeze warning for north GA. Now that's just wrong. Yes I said freeze warning.
Old April 19, 2018   #2084
Haraldsdotter
Tomatovillian™

This past week has seen a snowstorm, an ice storm with high winds, torrential rain that flooded my backyard 12 inches deep in places, then a freeze, then a short ‘blizzard-like conditions’ and now cloudy with average temps a full 10 degrees below normal. My average last frost date is less than 2 weeks away (4/30)..... I’m not sure I believe that at all
Haraldsdotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #2085
bower
Tomatovillian™

We'll be having a little freezing rain or snow next couple of nights but the lows are only near freezing and the daytime highs are above. The sun stuttered out for a bit this afternoon and I decided to get the tomatoes out to the greenhouse to harden off, come what may. A few of them are starting to get too tall and they do need to be planted soon. We have a couple of cloudy days ahead which may be too cool to plant but no risk of freezing. I hope it's not miserable enough to tempt me to bring the tommies back indoors.
Got a cabbage butterfly in the greenhouse, which must've snuck in with the kale. It was really taken with the tomatoes as a place to perch and stop fluttering about. I had to pull it off when I tucked them under cover for the night... hairy feet just stuck on!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apr19-hardeningoff.JPG (402.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg cabbage-butterfly.JPG (325.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg c-butterfly.JPG (286.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg cbutterfly-c.JPG (97.7 KB, 55 views)