Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 5, 2016   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default What light should I buy for growing a lemon tree indoors.

So I'm thinking about getting a Dwarf Meyer Lemon for growing inside. I LOVE Meyer Lemons, my sister grew a lemon tree from seed and the smell was gorgeous. I'd love to have one this year or next.
I could put it outside during the summer and in the rest of the year ideally it would live in my kitchen. Unfortunately the best light in the kitchen is right where my built in bench and table are. Beside having the tree on the table what are my options for lighting?

I do also have a utility room with a small set up of florescent lights for seed starting and year round greens. Would it do better in there?

I need this to be the most economical option possible because I'm on an extremely tight budget.

Could I also grow one or two dwarf/miro dwarf tomatoes under the lemon tree's light in the kitchen to expand my food growing during the winter?
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

If you are starting from seed you should be able to use your current florescent setup until the plant outgrows it. At that point you should do what your sister is doing if she is successful.

I set up a homemade lighting system with PVC, insulation sheeting and T5's. It was cheaper than professional grow systems but it wasn't cheap with the T5's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden Room 1201013 004.jpg (466.3 KB, 38 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2016   #3
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

My sister was lucky enough to have a south facing walk in basement with huge windows and double french doors. I am not so lucky. I just have three small windows in my kitchen.
I would be ordering a plant because Meyers don't grow true from seed. So I could use my regular setup until it's too big for that? Then maybe build a bigger setup in my utility room. I was thinking about putting it on a low bookshelf in the kitchen so it got more light, but really it seems like that wouldn't be enough.

Thank you for the advice and sharing the picture Salsacharley! That setup looks awesome!

Last edited by BackyardFarm; March 6, 2016 at 04:53 PM.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #4
gardengeekgirl
Tomatovillian™

I have a meyer lemon tree that I have managed to keep alive three winters now. I was originally most concerned about the amount of sunlight it was getting. (As a side note, SalsaCharley that is an awesome setup!).

However, it turns out my biggest problem is scale. Every winter, scale comes close to devastating the tree no matter how much I try to keep up with wiping it down or applying insecticidal soap. As soon as I can, I have to get it outside so the lady beetles can help me try to control it!
gardengeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote