Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 18, 2016   #196
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Krokatoa became active over night, it is now erupting about every 20 minutes or so.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #197
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is the solution I used in the brine and peppers if anyone is interested.
I used 1 tablespoon of canning salt per cup of water.
The water was RO filtered water.
And I put 2 tablespoons of canning salt in between each 2 inch layer of peppers and carrots stirring up as I did.
Just something I dreamed up on my own as the internet has way to many recipes to pick from.
The brine is a little heavy but what I have found out is the hotter the temperatures the more salt you use.
Worth
Old July 18, 2016   #198
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Play by play events as they take place.
Temperature can mean everything.
An example is last night after I put the crock in the house it cooled off.
This sucked the water from the mote to the back side so I had to add more water.
The temperature was 70 degrees.
As I turned up the thermostat to 75 for the day the crock started to warm as well. At 73 degrees it has picked up the pace with its bubbling.
There are two reasons, it is becoming more active on its own and the slight temperature change.
The other thing I did before I put anything in the crock was to use bleach in it and also hydrogen peroxide to kill any unwanted mold spores and bacteria.
Plus screaming hot water inside and out.
The peppers were just rinsed in cold tap water the carrots were not skinned or peeled just washed off.
Old July 18, 2016   #199
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As you can tell I am excited about this.
Ever since I fermented those Fresno peppers I wanted to do this on a larger scale.
The flavor and texture was out of this world, nothing like your traditional vinegar pickled peppers.
worth
Old July 20, 2016   #200
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The peppers are burping about every 3 minutes at 74 degrees F.

Worth
Old July 20, 2016   #201
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I was just looking at a fermenting recipe for hot sauce and found this easy one. What do you think? http://homestead-honey.com/2014/09/1...-sauce-recipe/
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2016   #202
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I was just looking at a fermenting recipe for hot sauce and found this easy one. What do you think? http://homestead-honey.com/2014/09/1...-sauce-recipe/

I think it is fine but dont use chlorinated water and it is better to have some sort of air lock so you never get mold.
You can also just blend the peppers up to begin with.
If you are going to do this with temps in the 70's or close to 80 add another teaspoon of salt per cup, so it would be 4 teaspoons not 3 per quart.
Not a big fan of shaking and stirring up the ferment

Worth
Old July 20, 2016   #203
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I aslo don't think vinegar is necessary if fermented correctly.
To me vinegar kills the taste of the fermenting and peppers.
The jar on the left is what is left of my Fresno peppers from a long time ago.
It has been left out on the counter for days on end put back in the refrigerator and hack out again.
More or less overall mistreated and neglected.
It is still just as fresh and clean looking as the day I made it.
The jar on the right is my new batch.
Worth
I dont know if it is my computer or what but it seems to wash out the colors.
This stuff is bright red.
IMG_20160720_10588.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; July 20, 2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old July 21, 2016   #204
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Pete,

Something a lot of people don't know about Oregon (and I didn't know until I moved here 2 yrs ago) is that it is heavily populated with Scandinavians. That means sauerkraut and lots of it is made here. I've watched the demos three times now but haven't made it myself yet. Here are some links to information from Oregon State University Master Food Preservers.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lan...sauerkraut.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...sauerkraut.pdf

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch...vegetables.pdf
I wonder of the Master Food Preservers sponsor classes on Fermentation?I will be moving back to the Brookings area after having lived in SE Asia for a few years.I'd love to do some fermenting myself.

Trop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I got it from The Sausage Maker.
They aren't the cheapest people on earth but by darn they stand behind their product.
I have ordered from them since before the internet.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/fermenting-pots-s/2094.htm

Ill let you chew on Barbs links and get back with you.
Worth
I know you said something about the smaller containers being more prone to contamination,but I wonder if the 5L German Style Harvest Pot might be the one to start off with?

Also was thinking about 5Gal food grade plastic buckets.I suppose a guy wouldn't have to fill these to 3/4 or even 1/2.You could probably do any amount you wanted so long as you didn't overfill?

Trop
Old July 21, 2016   #205
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post
I wonder of the Master Food Preservers sponsor classes on Fermentation?I will be moving back to the Brookings area after having lived in SE Asia for a few years.I'd love to do some fermenting myself.

Trop

I know you said something about the smaller containers being more prone to contamination,but I wonder if the 5L German Style Harvest Pot might be the one to start off with?

Also was thinking about 5Gal food grade plastic buckets.I suppose a guy wouldn't have to fill these to 3/4 or even 1/2.You could probably do any amount you wanted so long as you didn't overfill?

Trop
I think the German style harvest pot is the best.
Unless you are just filthy to no end it wont spoil or get mold in it.

Just dont look in the container for at the very least two weeks or you might get mold.
Here is the rundown.
As the stuff starts to ferment it creates gas that pushes out air without air mold cant form and the fermentation makes an acid environment so botulism causing bacteria cant form.

The 5 gallon buckets would be good too with airlocks you can buy.

About 3/4 of the way up seems to be best and make sure you use weights.
The old timers and many people now use wood with stones on top of them.
Old July 21, 2016   #206
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Trop, they might just do that! Our MFP group in Douglas County (Roseburg) is having a fermenting class in Sept (I'm helping in the kitchen but someone has to do it ;-) ) Douglas County MFPs have been asked to help Curry County do an MFP training. Frankly kind of far for us. But it does sound like there is an active group there looking to grow.
Old July 21, 2016   #207
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Worth, you shouldn't have to add vinegar to fermented foods. There should be enough lacto-bac acid to make it sour. Salt is what's most important.
Old July 21, 2016   #208
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If someone is adding vinegar they like vinegar or something is wrong.

Here is my sauerkraut I made last winter.
The one on the left is unprocessed active kept in the refrigerator.
The other two are processed hot water bath one is two weeks ferment the far right is a three week ferment.
all of them sucked up the water and puffed up.
IMG_20160721_46736.jpg
Old July 21, 2016   #209
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think the German style harvest pot is the best.
Unless you are just filthy to no end it wont spoil or get mold in it.

Just dont look in the container for at the very least two weeks or you might get mold.
Here is the rundown.
As the stuff starts to ferment it creates gas that pushes out air without air mold cant form and the fermentation makes an acid environment so botulism causing bacteria cant form.

The 5 gallon buckets would be good too with airlocks you can buy.

About 3/4 of the way up seems to be best and make sure you use weights.
The old timers and many people now use wood with stones on top of them.
If I could use buckets,that would really be helpful.This move is going to be quite expensive,and if I can save a penny here and there,it would be a good thing. I sure do like the looks of those crocks tho.Maybe when I get back, I can start picking up cans along the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Trop, they might just do that! Our MFP group in Douglas County (Roseburg) is having a fermenting class in Sept (I'm helping in the kitchen but someone has to do it ;-) ) Douglas County MFPs have been asked to help Curry County do an MFP training. Frankly kind of far for us. But it does sound like there is an active group there looking to grow.
No doubt the good folks in Curry County would be most appreciative of the help.I think the Ext Service is probably in Gold Beach isn't it?

I am well acquainted with the Roseburg area.Had family in the Looking Glass area and the folks had property in Oakland (near Sutherlin).I made deliveries all over that area every other day for 12yrs out of Medford.

We couldn't make it there before Sept I don't think,so that is disappointing,but there is a lot of solid info here,and Youtube videos as well.
Old July 21, 2016   #210
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Just what is the texture of the fermented peppers when they're done? Soft? Crunchy? Somewhere in between?

I've looked at a lot of recipes for them on the Internet and while the posters go on and on about how wonderful they are prepared this way, no one really talks about the final texture. I tried the basic canned pepper recipes using vinegar and a hot water bath a few years ago and for me it was a waste of good peppers.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote