Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old April 30, 2017   #46
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Not even close to being ready to pull, count the leaves, they wont even start to bulb up yet this time of year.
Worth

That's what I was thinking. Dead or almost dead tops are what I've always been told to wait for before pulling onions.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #47
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

What may have thrown me off was the fact that 4 of the 10 had sent up a seed pod shoot. I had understood to pull them prior to them going to seed. True?

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #48
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For the few I've had send up flower stalks, I've just treated them like my hardneck garlic -- cut them off as early as possible and leave the onion to finish bulbing.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #49
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

When they make a seed pod is what I call second year onions. Onions are biennials. They produce those seed heads the second year. The seeds from those seed heads start the biennial process over again.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
What may have thrown me off was the fact that 4 of the 10 had sent up a seed pod shoot. I had understood to pull them prior to them going to seed. True?

Raybo
Okay if that happened it is over big time.
Many things can make this happen early.
Normally an onion will not put out a seed pod until I think its sixth leaf or so.
If there is a temperature swing in the middle of the first year it will do the same thing because it thinks it went through one winter.
Each leaf is a layer in the onion.
You want to get that onion to put on as many leaves as it can before the daylight hours get to the length it takes for it to start bulbing up.
If a storm hits and knocks down all of the plants during this time it ruins the crop like it did mine last year.
I dont care what anyone may think or read stomping down and cutting off tops does NOT make bigger onions.
Normally an onion here gets around 13 to 14 leaves on it before it starts to bulb.
A long daylight onion here will just keep putting on leaves and never bulb up.
And yes when the onions are falling over and dying it is time to pull.
Or you can leave them in the ground here and pick fresh in the fall and winter on into the spring when it cools and they come back up.
I still want to do an indoor monster onion with grow lights.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #51
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I tried onions in a pot indoors and they were the opposite of monster. Not even golf ball size. They wanted outside. Even outdoors with tlc they don't get as big as your forgotten heroes. They are good keepers though. I am getting hundreds of onion seedlings this year because of our warm spell in February. I thought it was garlic seed but I dug some up and it was red onion.

I still have my garlic perfectly hard and keeping the vampires away in that "bedroom" from last summer. Hmm where would I put them if that table is replaced with a bed. Maybe living fashionably isn't all that grand. Oh heck, yes it is!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #52
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This is what not having much of a winter, too many storms, and high winds have done to this year's onion crop. The storms started back in February. The onions have looked like this ever since - some are growing bigger. This is why I let the volunteer tomato plant grow along with the onions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0073.JPG (94.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0074.JPG (82.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0075.JPG (95.4 KB, 78 views)
Old May 13, 2017   #53
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Just a picture and thoughts today. It's time to get the onions out of the ground - they've grown all they are going to. It is 4 weeks earlier than I have ever harvested onions, but when the leaves start turning brown - it's time. There's still enough onions to last for months - just no real big ones this year. The small onions are very good in soups - we look forward to that. There are three 35' rows of them. Definitely not a loss - just a little bit of disappointment.

In the plastic container is a golf ball to show size comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0039.JPG (99.9 KB, 57 views)
Old May 13, 2017   #54
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have some over wintered from last year.
Once again the rain beat them to the ground and stopped growth.
Four or five to be exact.
I am going to pull them and have them with fried fish today.
Today seems like fried fish and fried okra weather for some reason.
Worth
Old May 13, 2017   #55
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Well, that's the quickest I've ever harvested onions. It looks so much better there without the onion leaves bent down to the ground. They've been that way for months.

I already got the dried oak leaves in the bed and am going to get 4 or 5 tomato plant clones started to grow on the part of the fence where the sun is shining on it. I very closely looked at the onion roots as I prepared them for the drying table - not one sign of RKN or anything else wrong.

Worth, that fried okra sounds like it'll go well with the chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and gravy I'm cooking tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0040.JPG (96.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0041.JPG (91.9 KB, 58 views)
Old May 13, 2017   #56
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salt that big storm we had come through and broke their necks is what did them in.
Decided to make salsa cruda out of the onions.
Worth
Old May 20, 2017   #57
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's bad when your Elephant Garlic is bigger than your onions.

Most didn't get as big as last year's crop. It wasn't from lack of roots. There are more scapes this year. I wonder how long they'll keep?

We'll eat the smaller ones and save the larger ones for planting later this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0067.JPG (84.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0068.JPG (61.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0069.JPG (86.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0070.JPG (87.6 KB, 43 views)
Old May 20, 2017   #58
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I tried to grow elephant garlic here one year and they all croaked.
I had no idea when to plant them.
This years lack of any cold weather pretty much spelled small cloves for any garlic.
My place was covered in pests and insects all winter long.
Even stink bugs.
Worth