Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 22, 2013   #16
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

While I love Asparagus, I can never seem to make it grow well in my climate. However okra is the complete opposite. It will grow like a weed in the heat I experience in Oklahoma. I like several varieties but Clemson spineless is the most common around here. The other one I really like to recommend to new okra growers is an heirloom called Eagle Pass. It it very fat full podded okra that rarely gets very tough and is considerably less slimy than many common varieties. It will get tall just like most okra varieties but I think that these will do ok in a container given that it is large enough (3 gallon or larger probably a 7 gallon would be perfect). All okra varieties can be cut back mid season when they get tall and usually continue to produce into the fall after a recovery period ( usually only a few weeks(2-3) with some added fertilizer).

Best of luck,
Colin
sio2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #17
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
This stuff makes great fried okra:

Unfortunately, I and my family eat 100% gluten free. (Have for over a decade. We were Celiac before it became popular. ) However, I'm really good at recreating things, so I'll look this up and, hopefully, get a good gf copy to try. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sio2rocks View Post
While I love Asparagus, I can never seem to make it grow well in my climate. However okra is the complete opposite. It will grow like a weed in the heat I experience in Oklahoma. I like several varieties but Clemson spineless is the most common around here. The other one I really like to recommend to new okra growers is an heirloom called Eagle Pass. It it very fat full podded okra that rarely gets very tough and is considerably less slimy than many common varieties. It will get tall just like most okra varieties but I think that these will do ok in a container given that it is large enough (3 gallon or larger probably a 7 gallon would be perfect). All okra varieties can be cut back mid season when they get tall and usually continue to produce into the fall after a recovery period ( usually only a few weeks(2-3) with some added fertilizer).

Best of luck,
Colin
Thank you! And thank you for the advice. I am pretty certain that if it grows for me here, and I'm assured it will, it will grow like a weed as well. (Here in FL, we do weeds well.) I'm definitely putting a bookmark on this thread so I'll remember to look this over again.
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #18
sio2rocks
Tomatovillian™

I too have Celiac disease. Unfortunately most of my family does also, thus we eat pretty much gluten free in our house. I have been without it for almost 15 years now. It is tough for things like that prepared breading where there are few gluten-free substitutes available and they are hard to find.

Colin
sio2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #19
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Gluten free too....make a good breading mix with several other flours and then 50% coarse polenta....Add spices of choice, always crunchy and you can't tell it if gf.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2013   #20
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Yum! I have some okra in the fridge and now I want to go cook it. Freya, what we do is saute onion and garlic and sometimes a little ground beef, then add the okra (prefer whole small okras, but sliced if too big) plus some chopped tomato and/or tomato paste, water to almost cover it, salt and red pepper, and cook until it's softened.

I think I might try to grow some too this year. I'm the only one in my house who really likes it, plus I'd like to serve it to my parents when they visit or just give them some. I buy a pint from the farmer's market once a week in the summer. Would one or two plants be enough? And do groundhogs and squirrels etc. like okra or do they leave it alone?

Last edited by OneDahlia; February 24, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2013   #21
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Colin and Jeanne, isn't it amazing how many people are gluten free now? Makes life so much easier.

Thank you, Jeanne, for the GF breading recipe! I'll be doing that. Hopefully. If the okra grows!

OneDahlia, that recipe sounds delicious! Thanks!
FreyaFL is offline   Reply With Quote