Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2019   #1
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafting Dwarfs?

Has anyone grafted a dwarf onto typical rootstock like RST-04-106?

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing a few released varieties this year and am thinking about it. I use DRO141TX which seems to have little to no effect on plant growth habits.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2019   #3
autobs
Tomatovillian™

I grafted Tasmanian Chocolate and Arctic Rose to Estamino side by side with non-grafted plants of the same variety. The Tas Choco was prolific and seemed to out produce the control plant 2 to 1. For some reason both Arctic Rose plants produced equally well for me.
autobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2019   #4
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both.

I graft because bacterial wilt is so bad here - often claiming about half my plants before any tomatoes ripen. Last year, it took out most of my Big Beef and Big Brandy plants too. I could probably plant a lot more but it breaks my heart to see loaded tomato plants suddenly wilt and die.

I wasn't sure how a regular root stock would graft onto a dwarf since the growth habits are so different - the dwarf being much thicker, etc. Good to know that it works.

Last year, I grew my dwarfs on virgin land and did not lose any. I liked the production of in ground v. the potted dwarfs I grew the year before. And, they required a lot less watering which really helped when I was away.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2019   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Well, my thinking is that one of the characteristics of root stocks is to produce a big vigorous top. So grafting a dwarf onto a root stock will be defeating the purpose. Though it should be interesting as an experiment.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote